Another reason to love my insert and burn wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derwood

Nov 22, 2007
East TN
Ok, I know some of this may not exactly apply to everyone since many of you have gas or oil, but it makes me feel better since I have an electric heat pump which I would be relying on if I didn't have an efficient insert.

This comes from part of a presentation made at a major utility board meeting. Part of it focused on what happens to the energy starting with coal in the ground to electricity in your house.

Starting with 100% in the ground,
97% is left after mining, processing and transportation,
32% is left after generation, and
29% is left after transmission for a total loss of 71%.

The numbers are the same for nuclear nevermind the legacy waste issues.

Unfortunately a tremendous amount is lost in the conversion process to make megawatts.

Now even with a new epa insert I had wondered about clean burning and how much of an impact there might be compared to the high technology scrubbers and selective catalytic reduction approaches in use to minimize CO2 and SOx emissions. But with the large amount lost in the energy production process, I'm thinking burning wood could very well have a positive impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.