Another reason to wear a face sheild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? We have them everywhere, here. I must've cut more than 30 of them close to this diameter , when we moved into our current place.

I think it depends on where we cut. I'm in a rural area and cut in and around larger forested areas. I see lots of PI and (and Virginia creeper vines for that matter) around suburban lots and border areas but not in more mature forested areas. The vast majority of large vines here are wild grapes.

Last edited:
-I stand by my original post: if the tree had vines wrapped around it previously or you cut next to something and it gets on the chain, your getting that "stuff" in your eyes. No leaves were on the vine so I had no idea what it was. I know now and so do others.

Strange vines? I usually carefully cut those from the area to be cut with loppers and remove them with gloved hands before using the chainsaw.

Lets see you easily cut a "branch" or vine that is 3-4'"+ with loppers.

I have a set that we bought about 10 years ago with a ratcheting head (you have to close the arms 6 times to go from full open to full close) and it will cut 3 - 3.5 inches.

Anything bigger than that, and I use an axe as well

Really? We have them everywhere, here. .......

+1 to that, poison oak as well.

Poison ivy, wild grape and oriental bittersweet is what we usually get around here growing up the sides of trees...and yes - they're all mostly border plants ....growing along rivers or where the forest meets open areas...roadsides, yards etc.

Wild grape is the only one I have any love for...them grapes make excellent jelly, the vines are good for smoking meats, and stuffed grape leaves are one of my wife's favorite snacks.....or add a leaf or two to a jar of cukes in brine with garlic and dill so you get crispier pickles.

Status
Not open for further replies.