Another rookie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
Just bought an insert a few weeks ago. Learning a lot through trial and error. With my insert I have noticed with my fan on the temps I usually reach with it off are about 50 degrees less. Is this normal I assume it is.

Yes sir, that is correct since the fan / blower pulls heat from the stove

edit: I should have added that only using the fan in the hot and hottest parts of the burn will almost if not completely, eliminate that. Very little if any temperature change then. (Using the blower on auto mode does the same with my insert)

Last edited:
Don't let that bother you, you need to figure out the best way to use your fan to get the most heat out of your insert. Dry wood is your best friend, that means under 20% MC to get best results. Upon starting out my fan will turn on 45 minutes after light up, I keep it on low until my first load of wood is done and my second load is ready to run with the air completely closed down, then I raise the fan full speed and the room heats up fast and easy. But the most important part of all this is under 20% MC of your wood, I struggled my first 2 years, but now have it down due to the wood and playing around yo find out what works best......

Status
Not open for further replies.