Another safety reminder...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shame to lose a historic mansion like that.

"The 7,042 square foot estate dates back to the late nineteenth century and according to county property tax records was owned by Jeffrey and Joan Rich. In 2012, it was assessed for $1,057,000."

Money can't buy brains.

Looking at those pics, What a slap in the face, the only think left standing is the fireplace masonry. Maybe it was in a vacuum in the closet? I can't imagine someone just putting ashes in a closet.

Reactions: Ashful
I empty every bucket of ash no matter if the stove has been idle a full day. One day I was out plowing snow and my wife decided to clean out extra ash out of the stove. She set the bucket down on the floor for an hour. I came in after plowing, saw the bucket and and let her know how lucky she didn't burn the house down. That was 1 of numerous other mistakes she's done along with her son that over fired my stove at 1300 degs at 5:00AM and he burnt his arm on the stove door as well. I caught it 1 hr later and shut down the stove. Her son and girlfriend stayed with us during Thanksgiving and they were cold. I explained the dangers of an overfired stove. He shrugged it off and said he's used wood stoves before. I don't like anyone running my stove. A thread that's been posted many a times.

Hah! I don't even like my hubby running the stove. I work from home so I tend it all day. When he's home on the weekends I nit pick and nag him enough he eventually just lets me do it. He drives me crazy loading a split an hour....I load her up and am done with it, then hours later, do it again. His method is every hour, granted it stays hot but one at a time is insanity!

I empty every bucket of ash no matter if the stove has been idle a full day.
I could post a smartass BlazeKing owner comment, but I'll refrain.

It's a cryin' shame to lose a house to hot ashes...

Like wearing a thong, there should be an application process to owning a wood burner.

Reactions: Ashful
My ash goes right in a bucket and right out the back door where I dump it all in my backyard fire pit. I'll scoop some out in the spring to mix with garden soil. People sometimes don't realize that there could be hot coals buried in that ash for days after the stove goes out, which causes something like this to happen.

Leroy_B said:
I empty every bucket of ash no matter if the stove has been idle a full day.​
I could post a smartass BlazeKing owner comment, but I'll refrain.
I should re-iterate on emptying the ash bucket. I have a metal trash barrel with a metal lid cover that sits on a dirt area away from the house and the ash bucket from the stove is dumped into it. Would have to figure out the BlazeKing owners comment.

My ash goes right in a bucket and right out the back door where I dump it all in my backyard fire pit. I'll scoop some out in the spring to mix with garden soil. People sometimes don't realize that there could be hot coals buried in that ash for days after the stove goes out, which causes something like this to happen.
Oh so true.

Would have to figure out the BlazeKing owners comment.

Was likely based on "if the stove has been idle a full day." After a full day, a Blaze King may just be mid-way thru the load.

Reactions: milleo
Was likely based on "if the stove has been idle a full day." After a full day, a Blaze King may just be mid-way thru the load.
Exactamundo. Or at least, I'd be concerned about setting my gloved hands on fire as I empty the ashbin, never mind the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.