1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

another st croix issue

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Mach23, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mach23

Mach23 Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    This is my second year having my st croix prescott exl. Last year went well, i thought i had learned a lot but maybe not!.
    The first part of this season everything went well. Recently i have been having major clinker buildups in the burn pot. I clean the stove roughly once a week sometimes more. i cleaned the stove saturday and 3/4 of the pot was a solid clinker. When i removed the ash pan to vacuum that it had a good cup of unburned pellets in there which has never happened.
    I just turned the stove up on 5 to burn off some ash (i do this almost once daily) and noticed the pot is just so full the pellets are spilling out the side and into the ash pan.
    I shut the stove down and pulled the pot out and once again solid clinker. Why is this happeneing now and never before? I am burning the same pellets as last year.... Whats up with it? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    Two things.... have you THROUGHLY cleaned your stove including cleaning behind the fire box and thru the ash traps? have you used the "leaf blower trick"? If pellets are building up you have a dirty stove issue.... you need to do a COMPLETE cleaning after every ton...

I would check to make sure the versa-grate motor shaft coupler is tight where it meets the versa-grate mechanism. If the motor turns but the versa-grate does not it will build up a clinker... I had this crop up last year and again this year. You'll need to tighten up the set screw and use a little Lock-Tite, too.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    What krooser said X very large number.
  4. Mach23

Mach23 Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    thank you for the input! i will check the set screw. I cleaned the stove throughly at the end of last season and went through it again before i started burning this fall just to make sure one last time. I havent burned a ton of pellets yet this year so i have been just doing regualr maitenance so far. Yes i do use the leaf blower trick as well. Like i said i vacuumed the stove saturday and already tonight i had a clinker the size of the pot. I will check that set screw tomorrow when the stove is cool. Thanks!
  5. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    IF you have the latest control board, you may want to check to make sure that it is on program 3. UNplug the unit and with 5 sec of plugging it in, press the up nad down blower arrows and release, keeps doing that until you get to program 3 on the control pad