Another Stove ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MANIAC

Apr 17, 2007
Bridgton Maine
I am being given this stove and I can't really tell from the picture what MFG/Model it is. I am sorry for the poor pic quality but it is the best I have at the moment. It appears to be some kind of VC but I don't know much about VC's. It has two solid front doors and a side door to the left (facing). It also has some form of a warming plate on the top as well as some kind of brass knobs in all four corners of the top.

Any thoughts.

Attachments

• Stove1.jpg
    Stove1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 245
looks like an old vc defiant, but it could be a scandia knock off... either way its a smoke / soot dragon, best for camp or shop/garage

Looks like a VC Vigilant 1977, I just went and looked at one yesterday, poor thing had cracks all down the sides and the doors wouldn't open. I didn't know those stoves have a thermostat controlled air intake, I would have bought it but way to much work, it would take a whole bucket of Rutland stove cement just to fix it!

Certainly not a Vigilant as the style is that of the Defiant Model.

A true Defiant would say it on the side - and probably on the rear, too.

There were a number of knock-offs including Olympic and Scandia.

One way to tell a real VC is to look at the smoothness of the castings - for instance, the top plate. VC will be extremely smooth as they use fine sand and patterns in their casting. Knock-offs will usually have a rougher finish - but, if it is real VC, it is definitely in the side casting above the loading door (the word Defiant).

Status
Not open for further replies.