Another stove installation thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
I have a Napolean 1150 which I plan on installing myself. I have had multiple estimates to have the stove professionally installed and in each case was told different stories about what is best.

The stove has a 6" diameter outlet and will be vented from a single story kitchen/family room, through an attic, and straight out the top of the roof. If anybody can help anwering the following, I'd appreciate the input:

1 - 6" vs. 8"? One potential installer said it would be best to tranisiton from 6" diameter stove pipe to 8" diameter vent pipe to improve draft. Opinions?

2 - Single wall vs. double wall stove pipe - the Napolean manual states that 6" single wall pipe should be used (the stove sits atop a hearth that I built which conforms to NFPA 211 code as well as the specifications in the manual); would double wall be better?

3 - Brand of chimney pipe/brand of stove pipe compatability? Another potential installer swore up down and sideways about Superpro Brand for chimney pipe. Opinions? Can one mix brands between chimney pipe and stove pipe?

4 - Extra support brackets for chimney pipe. I live in NE Ohio and it can get windy - that said, I've seen plenty of chimney pipes sticking out of roofs without any extra support brackets. I was leaning towards using them - opinions?

I was originally not planning on installing my own stove, but thanks to all the great information/encouragement I got from this site I did the hearth with no problems and the myriad of different stories I've gotten from potential installers I think I'd rather do the chimney myself as well.

Thanks for advice/opinions!!!

ok man, no other repies... here are my feelings...

1- 6" is what you want.. I understand his thought on the upstep then to 8, but that only really works for your car exhaust. stay uniform on the stove.
2- you can do single off the stove. but i think for running up through the attic /ceiling your safest/smartest with double. (i'm flex up the chimney.not applicable)
3- everyone has their fav's. search on here using advanced search for reviews/feelings... your concern is 316ti, good thickness-and like a 5ply seem at least
4- sure, if you feel the need. its safer/surer and if not any other reason...peace of mind that it aint blowing down late one night.

like I said.. my input.. others will follow.
then search some more, and make your own, now well educated, decision.

I have a Napolean 1150 which I plan on installing myself. I have had multiple estimates to have the stove professionally installed and in each case was told different stories about what is best.

The stove has a 6" diameter outlet and will be vented from a single story kitchen/family room, through an attic, and straight out the top of the roof. If anybody can help anwering the following, I'd appreciate the input:

1 - 6" vs. 8"? One potential installer said it would be best to tranisiton from 6" diameter stove pipe to 8" diameter vent pipe to improve draft. Opinions?

ANS: Probably not. Stick with the 6"

2 - Single wall vs. double wall stove pipe - the Napolean manual states that 6" single wall pipe should be used (the stove sits atop a hearth that I built which conforms to NFPA 211 code as well as the specifications in the manual); would double wall be better?

ANS: In my opinion - YES.

3 - Brand of chimney pipe/brand of stove pipe compatability? Another potential installer swore up down and sideways about Superpro Brand for chimney pipe. Opinions? Can one mix brands between chimney pipe and stove pipe?

ANS: Typically - do not mix brands if at all possible.

4 - Extra support brackets for chimney pipe. I live in NE Ohio and it can get windy - that said, I've seen plenty of chimney pipes sticking out of roofs without any extra support brackets. I was leaning towards using them - opinions?

ANS: Really its only needed if you go above 4' from the roof line. (Again, that is opinion)

I was originally not planning on installing my own stove, but thanks to all the great information/encouragement I got from this site I did the hearth with no problems and the myriad of different stories I've gotten from potential installers I think I'd rather do the chimney myself as well.

Thanks for advice/opinions!!!

My completely amateur thoughts:

The guy who told you that increasing the flue size from 6" to 8" will improve the draft of the stove had his head up his arse.

If the stovepipe run is interior, I like single wall, because it gives me the illusion that I'm squeezing a little more heat out of my stove before the flue gases run to daylight. If it's an exterior run, then by all means double-wall insulated pipe is appropriate.

Best not to mix pipe component manufacturers. Now, if the interior run is single wall, it's not so critical that it be from the same maker as the rest, but most definitely from the adapter to daylight should all be the same brand.

Good luck, have fun, be careful. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.