Another 'Thanks'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourmoneypit

Jun 16, 2008
ON/S QC
I posted a couple times with woodstove choice questions (DS wanted a cookstove). Largely with the help of many here, we finally settled on a Hearthstone Mansfield, and it was installed last Friday. We're new to burning wood, and it's in our part-time residence, so the learning curve will be long. As of right now, though, we are more than happy with the stove. We are burning the previous owner's leftover wood first, which appears to be softwood 'cause it's really light. We did commit the newbie error of not preparing enough wood :) We'll be buying a couple more cords on our next visit up.

While the Mansfield is slow to provide heat to the far reaches of the 24x43 area it is in (which we expected), it does eventually do so, and without it being uncomfortable standing 3' from the stove itself. We expect the eventual installation of a ceiling fan will help with this. Also, we kept to moderate fires, because we hadn't yet picked up a thermometer for the top of the stove. While it's not the ideal stove for the short visits of our part-time residency, we expect it to be a good stove for longer visits and eventual full-time living.

We're back in the city, and miss it already. Thanks for the help given, folks. I'm sure there will be more questions in the future.

The hearth and adjoining wall are not finished, but here is a photo of the break-in fire:

Attachments

• Break-in fire.jpg
    Break-in fire.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 199
I strongly recommend you install a flue temp probe to monitor the flue temps. It was the best purchase I made as to when dampen it down and control the stove.

Once you get it figured out on operating it you will no doubt enjoy it every time you start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.