Another thermostat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
A week ago our stove was running fine on the thermostat in T stat mode

I turned the board setting up to 4 instead of 3 just to heat the place up a smidge more.

When I went to turn it back to 3, it went into idle mode with the power light flashing.

Manual says thermostat bad when that happens, so I replaced the thermostat with a Honeywell round no frills heat only thermostat. Still wouldn't work so switched the board back to manual mode

Today I double checked inside the stove connection and disconnected and reconnected the outside thermostat wire. Still only idles in T stat mode, so back to manual again

The only other thing i can think of is the board went funky or to run a new wire.

Anyone have any other ideas? I read all the other threads but nothing seemed to apply

Short the thermostat wires together and it should stop idling.

You could try unplugging the stove for 10 or 15 minutes to see if that resets it.

And make sure the connections are good all the way back to the control board. Before I bought another board, I'd short the terminals on the board itself to make sure it's nothing external to the board.

The stove will go back to idle and then work its way to a lower heat level - such as you going from level 4 to level 3. The light should not blink, however, and it should make its way to level 3 in under 10 minutes or so.

I don't understand what you mean by shorting the terminal on the board

I did unplug it to reset. Should I put it in T stat and leave it for 10 minutes to see if it goes back?

I believe that on your control board, there are two terminals that the 'stat wires connect to. I would run a wire shorting the two together (simulating a 'stat without the external wire, etc.) and see if it runs.

If you left it unplugged for 10 minutes or so, that should reset it, no matter what mode it's in. At this point, it seems you have a bad 'stat circuit, or a bad board.

...a bad board is like a bad hair day.....

I had the Honeywell round T-stat and it would not work on my Ashby-P insert. Original T-stat was Braeburn 500 bum T-stat from the start. I am Still waiting on a replacement.

I am now running a Honeywell T822D. Hard to find Merc T-stat. 2* temp swing. Prior to changing over, I shut the stove down for 10 min. and started all over again in Manual Mode and then switched back to the T-stat mode.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Any digitally switched thermostat should work and on most you can adjust the sensitivity, that is, the swing from off to on and vice xersa. A round one (mechanical, bi-metallic) probably not.

I had the Honeywell round T-stat and it would not work on my Ashby-P insert. Original T-stat was Braeburn 500 bum T-stat from the start. I am Still waiting on a replacement.

I am now running a Honeywell T822D. Hard to find Merc T-stat. 2* temp swing. Prior to changing over, I shut the stove down for 10 min. and started all over again in Manual Mode and then switched back to the T-stat mode.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Kinda suprised you could find one in as much as they were taken off the marketplace (mercury is a carcinogen supposedly but this administration presumes everything is........)

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Is that a replacement from the dealer? Because if it is, those things are easy to get in a couple of days off the net (I think I got mine in 4 days). Maybe you need to rattle the dealer's cage a little.

I don't want anything digital or high tech. Just a plain Jane model

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Braeburn-BR505-Heat-Only-Mechanical-Thermostat-24V

You can get Braeburn 505 thermostats from all over the net - above is just the first link I hit with a search, not where I got mine from or necessarily the best price.

That's kind of like what we had on it. The Honeywell says heat only and you can hook up 2 or 3 wires. Inside there is a switch for what kind of unit it's hooked up to for cycle rate switches

1. Steam or gravity
2. High eff warm air (water or heat pump)
3. Gas or oil warm air (factory setting). I left it set here
4. Electric warm air

Kinda suprised you could find one in as much as they were taken off the marketplace (mercury is a carcinogen supposedly but this administration presumes everything is........)

It's the old Seek an ye shall find It works great. 2* temp swing and it hasn't had a hic-up. I am in the process of looking for another one. Even the old Honeywell merc round dials heat only will work just fine. Dust of the dust and it;s good to go.

Is that a replacement from the dealer? Because if it is, those things are easy to get in a couple of days off the net (I think I got mine in 4 days). Maybe you need to rattle the dealer's cage a little.

Yes, I am waiting from the dealer. I finally got thru to St Croix and spoke with a customer service rep. He said to tell the dealer to order a new one since it is under warranty. Your are right, I should try and get a hold of the dealer/installer and find out what happened.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

That's kind of like what we had on it. The Honeywell says heat only and you can hook up 2 or 3 wires. Inside there is a switch for what kind of unit it's hooked up to for cycle rate switches

1. Steam or gravity
2. High eff warm air (water or heat pump)
3. Gas or oil warm air (factory setting). I left it set here
4. Electric warm air

The 505 is heat only and has a 2-wire hook up (or at least mine did, but it came from a stove place so they have made sure a dummy like me couldn't mess up the wires by removing extra screws). Has a dial on back to adjust the swing by number - but does not have the different types of heaters (maybe it's the same thing as the swing adjustment?)

Did you check the connections on the back of the connector where u hook the stat wires to the stove? Does it have the sping loaded quick hook ups like a speaker wire outlet? I have seen the spade connectors on the back side of these very loose.

The 505 is heat only and has a 2-wire hook up (or at least mine did, but it came from a stove place so they have made sure a dummy like me couldn't mess up the wires by removing extra screws). Has a dial on back to adjust the swing by number - but does not have the different types of heaters (maybe it's the same thing as the swing adjustment?)

According to St.Croix's tech, That dial is not a swing setting but a Heat Anticipator. He told me that it had no bearing on the St. Croix stoves. This is used on house HVAC units for the fan shut down time duration. Since the St.Croix's have their own shut down fan cooling built into the control unit this will do nothing.

This is an email I got from Braeburn
Steven,

With the Model 505, mechanical thermostat properly adjusted and balanced to the heater it is connected to, the typical on/off spread is 5 degrees F., or less. If you move the lever with the cover off, you should see the magnet on the end of the coiled bi-metal move from the left(off) to the right(on)in about a 5 degree or less spread.

The wiper arm on the anticipator disc should also be adjusted to the current rating of the pellet stove control the thermostat is turning on and off. The end of the wiper arm adjusts from 0.2 amp at the low end up to 1.0 amp at the high end. This adjustment puts it in balance with the pellet stove control. So you'll need to find out what that current rating is.

The Model 5050 is compatible with milli-volt systems up to 24 V AC systems, so it should work with your 5 VDC system. Just make sure the anticipaor is adjusted properly.

Regards,

George M. Steffens
Technical Support
Braeburn Systems LLC
[email protected]

Two conflicting answers. I for one, personaly do not like the 5* +/- temp swing.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

According to St.Croix's tech, That dial is not a swing setting but a Heat Anticipator. He told me that it had no bearing on the St. Croix stoves. This is used on house HVAC units for the fan shut down time duration. Since the St.Croix's have their own shut down fan cooling built into the control unit this will do nothing.

This is an email I got from Braeburn

Two conflicting answers. I for one, personaly do not like the 5* +/- temp swing.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Hmm, interesting since that thermostat is sold as the one to go to St. Croix, so I assumed the dial was useful (I haven't gotten it hooked up yet, so don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.