Another tragic CO story...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

branchburner

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
southern NH
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/n-h-emt-dies-from-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-after-snow-storm/

From 1999 through 2012, the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that portable generators were linked to more than 85 percent of non-fire CO deaths associated with engine-driven tools, or 800 out of 931 deaths, during that 14-year period. That's an average death rate of greater than one death per week.

Diane was a friend of my wife. Diane's generator had been off for about seven hours, but the garage was not well ventilated, and the CO levels from the previous night remained very high when she went in to refuel and start the generator. She apparently had tried to make it out, but collapsed short of the door.

It is suggested that generators be used only outdoors, as even ventilated garages, barns and sheds or other partially-enclosed spaces may accumulate excessive CO when a generator is run. Even if outside, a generator too close to a house can result in fatalities, as was the case in one of ten generator-related deaths following hurricane Sandy.

CO deaths from generators are twice as frequent as CO deaths from heating systems. Even if you have your generator correctly set up, please remember to remind any neighbors or relatives to use care if they are in the market for a generator. A friendly reminder might save a life.

My generator is in the garage. When its running we open the overhead door a little bit. I never gave it a second thought.

Once again, this forum has highlighted dangerous situations I've created in my own household. I will put the generator on a rolling platform, lengthen the wiring and run it outside with the door closed from now on. Promise.

Thank you Branchburner. Might have saved my a** from a stupid mistake.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Very sad story but thanks for sharing the story. It's an important reminder that with winter at our doorstep, that folks use equipment properly and ensure that they are safe and well ventilated. Complacency is a killer - it's important to use equipment properly and keep your head on a swivel.

Reactions: Beer Belly
especially with an open door......you would think it would vent out, truth is, it may have a slight wind keeping it in the garage

Reactions: BigCountryNY
Yea, for power outages I have made a few 12g 150 foot cords. Cost a pretty damn penny, but I won't have the generator NEAR my house.

I have tested my CO alarms in front of the generator exhaust (2 feet away). The cheapo kidde from the big box store takes about 10-15 seconds to go off when put in front of it. The more expensive digital goes off in about 5 seconds.

I know my house has a tendency to have negative pressure in the winter, so the CO could get sucked in through a window, doors, cracks, etc.

Another issue that may come up is running a generator in the rain or snow. Mfg's recommend against it but personaly, more often than not, my generators are run in rain and snow.

A cheap, movable generator shed could be made out of tin or mobile home underpinning.

Reactions: cheechblu
Tragic. My genny is outside in it's own shed 20 feet from the house. Wiring is underground, a permanent installation. Some years ago people down the road burned their house to the ground when they sent a 12yr-old out to refuel it, apparently hot. Nothing runs in my garage unless it's electric or being immediately driven out.

Last edited:
I run mine under a piece of plywood with legs that I drag outside if the weather is bad. When its not in use I store it under the piece of plywood in the garage and it acts like a shelf. Its a bit cumbersome to lug outside. I saw several folks running generators on their porch and in their garage sad..

My generator sits under the large, front overhang of my woodshed . . . it doesn't offer complete protection from the rain and snow, but most of the heaviest of the wet stuff doesn't reach it.

I store the generator in the garage, but never use it there. When I need to use it, it goes out into the driveway and gets positioned withe exhaust port facing away from the house. I close the garage door, leaving only enough of a gap on the bottom to pass the cables through. It's a portable so I get a few lights and keep the fridge going. If it is raining, I do without it until the precip stops. I would also probably not run it if the air was completely calm for fear that CO would build up. Since most power failures here are triggered by wind, that has yet to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.