Another tree id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
image.jpg image.jpg
i found a bunch of these walking through the woods today. I never thought I had oak near by my cottage. Tons of these leaves at the base of this tree.

Is this norther red oak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

Great. I also have lots of beech. I think beech is higher on the btu charts and it dries faster. Plus, the oaks look very healthy!

Red oak and beech . . . both very good in terms of BTU.

Yeah diff between btu's is negligible. Unfortunately prob plenty of dying beech, so I wouldn't take the oak if you can help it. Beech deff seasons at least a year sooner too. Good call

That is what I meant, beech is not looking very well, past the 12" base diameter, all rotting. The oaks look great, I would never cut them healthy/standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.