Another tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
What am I looking at here

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386731771.127608.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386731779.575984.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386731787.293712.jpg

Thanks in advance. It's cold out tonight. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like mulberry. Could be wrong.

Jeez, tough pics. I will say that it looks like pretty dense wood. Fairly tight growth rings, so what ever it is, it is worth your time to grab it.
I know the days are short this time of year, but some pics in the daylight would be helpful. Did it really have that yellowish color, or is that just from the flash?

Jeez, tough pics. I will say that it looks like pretty dense wood. Fairly tight growth rings, so what ever it is, it is worth your time to grab it.
I know the days are short this time of year, but some pics in the daylight would be helpful. Did it really have that yellowish color, or is that just from the flash?
With the weather lately I am working double night shift. I would live to see some sun myself lol. It did have a yellowish darker color. Not the white I got from poplar and red oak. I noticed how tight rings were. I might go after work and grab a few up. All on side of the road. Tree was in power lines.

So being the rings are so tight can I rule out poplar. I'm really good at finding poplar lol

Looks like norway maple

Stop back and split a piece off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386755102.696811.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386755111.162863.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1386755121.066848.jpg

Worth while wood?

Not mulberry. Oh well, I tried. :(

+1 Ash. The first pics in the dark had me thinking mulberry though...

Could be ash also.

Usually after the ash someone chimes in and says they see poplar. I compared it to some poplar splits I have. Bark is not as thick and has a little bit more red to it. The wood when split is close in color. What is got me staying on it is the fact that the growth rings are so dense. Doesn't that make it a good burning wood? Trying decide if I want to go load a truck or sleep. Has been two long nights and most likely another.

Status
Not open for further replies.