1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Another unusual splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by cmonSTART, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    Your right I am reading this from my S185 - and i think i have wasted my time, (and a bit of fuel). ;-) Me thinks that a link should have been attached here??
  3. cmonSTART

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Seems like an awful lot of wear-n-tear on an expensive piece of equip. Lots of fuel v.s. production I would guess as well.
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Not nearly the control that you get with hydraulic. We all split plenty of wood that needs to be split to less than 1/4- looks like that would be an effort with this one.
  6. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    meh...way too impractical and how long do you think that screw will hold its threads? Hell I bet you could buy 3 of those 'supersplitters' for what they get for that...monstrosity.

That has to be the most bogus piece of equipment I've ever seen...what a goat screw.

edit to add...

...and yeah I am holding back.
  7. wellbuilt home

wellbuilt home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    Ive used a regular splitter on a skid with the ram on the bottom so you could split large rounds with out getting out of the machine . It works real good but i use it so we could load the smaller pieces in the truck . I use a 27 ton Yard machine to finish splitting.
  8. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    It might be good if you want to split wood before you cut down the tree!

I wanna know how you keep the wood from spinning around with these screw type splitters? How do they handle knots? There must be a reason that linear splitters are so popular...

Chris
  9. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    I've seen a splitter for a skid steer that was pretty slick. It mounted to the skid steer where the bucket would usually be. It appeared to have a cylinder on either side of the wood. You straddled the wood, you could pick it up and move it over your pile and split it. Seemed to work well though not the fastest machine but you could get some good volume in a day. I'm sure it cost more than a regular beam splitter though...not to mention the cost of the skid steer.
  10. fire_N_ice

fire_N_ice Member

Loc:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    I will stick with my 12 inch rounds and my ryobi
  11. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Well, that's interesting...I've finally seen a piece of gear I don't want. :smirk: Rick
  12. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    You would just push the log into the ground to keep it from spinning. Most of the hydraulic hookups like this are reversible so you could back out of a knot and don't expect the threads to wear out, it'll be the actual tip that starts screwing which is steel and could be sharpened.

This creation likely came from a guy who had a hydraulic post hole digger which is pretty common, and he also maybe had a stickler or bark buster brand screw splitter and maybe got bored one day. I think it is an choice of an idea but heck, at least he is being creative.

Back in the day people used to make fence posts by splitting the logs like that so maybe the device could be a split rail/ fencepost machine.

I split the last 9 cords with a unicorn splitter like this hooked to a tractor PTO. I'll find a linky....

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16018/
  13. mchasal

mchasal Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I believe it takes a lot more hydraulic flow to spin the motor required for this than it does to push a splitter cylinder. So, smaller pumps, smaller motors = cheaper splitters. Skid Steers have gobs of hydro available, so they can run one of these.
  14. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    Maybe if you had some big rounds and are lazy it might be nice to use that.
  15. cmonSTART

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Ok, the irony here is that I could really use this thing now for my huge ash logs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.