Another use for ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I put my ash in the garden all winter, then till it in, in the spring. I got one more pail of ash this spring after I had tilled the garden so I just dumped it on my food plot. I am raising sunflowers and where I dumped the ash nothing is growing, not even weeds. So now I have been spreading them between the rows of plants and around the perimeter of the garden for organic weed control.

Attachments

• wood2 015 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood2 015 (512 x 384).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 891
Be carefull. I found out the hard way that too much ash will cause black or brown spots on the tomatoos and they will rot where the spts are before the fruit rippens. Value accordingly, mileage will vary.

Sunflowers?? me two have, about 5 varieties, first ones blooming now.

Got my sunflowers in late, but they are doing good. I planted some giant ones, reddish ones, and then a lot of the oil ones.

Many of mine are perrenial. Then the rest comes from the bird seed the squirrels spill. Those are the Big ones!

Perennial sunflowers, wow didn't know they came that way. I take seed heads and dry them over the winter and plant them. The colored sunflower seeds are expensive.

Yeah too much ash is no good. Every fall I rotortill all my compost plus as many leaves as possilbe, RedMaple leaves are the best because they rot fast. I also add grass clippings.

The last 2 years I've gotten my russian mammoths to 13 feet using fish/seaweed foliar early till about knee high then changing to Jack's Professional 20-20-20. About 1 pound every 4-5 days saturating the leaves and stock bases (about 12 plants along my stone wall) some of the stocks were like baseball bats....huge!. I try to beat the stock bores which are a problem every year...... If you want giant heads , once the head bud forms in early stages start feeding something hi in potash. I'm hammering my pumpkins and tomatoes also with fish/seaweed foliar spray. Here are my Bigmax plants....anybody here a pumpkinhaed? I love growing pumpkins my largest bigmax vine is stretching 8 inches of vine a day and is now close to 9 feet with strong secondaries.

Attachments

• bigmax_001.jpg
    bigmax_001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 665
Sunflower update. My perrenials are doing great, about 7ft tall and full of blooms, the bird see ones, had about 2 dozen about 4 feet tall and the ALL got eaten by those darn antlered beasties! Didnt touch the perrenial ones though. Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.