Another visit from the propane man

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hammmitc said:
still waiting for my next bill, my last fill up was before Christmas for $325. Started the new insert on 12/24, still have 3/4 of a tank left and burning 24/7. The wife loves it, she is actually warm in the winter now.

propane man was just here, bill was $45....love my wood insert!

This is the site I monitor periodically to see what is going on with propane pricing.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/hopu/hopu.asp

My own story: we got a fill last March in our 500 gallon propane tank. The fill takes us to 80%. I just checked it yesterday and I am at 44% full.

We heat 2600+ Sq ft with a Jotul Oslo. Our hot water, cooking, and dryer are all propane.

Boy am I glad that back in 2001 I decided to put a wood stove in the house we were building. To this day I can't quite figure out what made it pop into my head, I do remember the look on my wife's face and how she openly admits that she thought I was crazy.

The only propane truck I ever see is the one backing up my neighbor's driveway.

BrotherBart said:
The only propane truck I ever see is the one backing up my neighbor's driveway.

Me too. It seems to come a lot. I have started pointing out to the wife that the typical 500 gallon tank fillup will cost that neighbor 1500 bucks and that our entire year's power bill is less than that.

I would hate to think about one of these propane tanks leaking out its contents. Beside the explosion hazard, the 2-1000 gallon empty tanks would cost more than 6000$ to fill and it's not like you have a choice in the matter.

I have three BBQ tanks for BBQ and for starting brush fires with a weed burner 500k btu torch.

hammmitc said:
hammmitc said:
still waiting for my next bill, my last fill up was before Christmas for $325. Started the new insert on 12/24, still have 3/4 of a tank left and burning 24/7. The wife loves it, she is actually warm in the winter now.

propane man was just here, bill was $45....love my wood insert!

My last Propane bill was over $180 for 11/15 to 12/15. After I saw that, I was very motivated to finish our hearth and get the stove installed.

This month I'll only have 1 week of propane use; I can't wait to see the next bill. Since my install, the main heat hasn't ran one time and my home is warmer than ever! What a great feeling.

Velvetfoot,

Who's your propane supplier, I just paid $3.96 gal from HL fuel which is right in your area.

Dale

I got 100 gal. of propane the day before Thanksgiving and paid an intro price of $2.32 per gal with Amerigas.
I got 250 gal. 3 weeks ago and paid $2.52 per gal but not thru Amerigas. Amerigas was up to $3.35 per gal. Amerigas said their price is always more than the local smaller guys because Amerigas buys and sells so much propane they cannot keep any gas inventory on hand so they have to buy at the current spot market price, whereas the smaller guys are selling propane cheaper because they bought their gas inventory when the propane spot market price was less expensive. Yeah, right.......

Well, it looks like I'm the unlucky winner. I just got my propane bill - $3.73/gallon. I use my house part time (about 33%), and only use propane for cooking (rarely) and hot water. It's just me and sometimes my girl, no baths or long showers. they billed me for 47 gallons for two months - $173. Doesn't that seem high?

Even on the budget plan, knowing that I'll be paying them that money over the course of the next year hurts. Just thinking about the fact that they have delivered $1725 worth of propane since November (my tank was almost empty at the beginning of the season) drives home how expensive it really is. I only use propane to run the furnace. Everything else is electric. That's a lot of money to keep the house warm.

Ouch.

-SF

DaleZ: Ackner

I might have read the bill wrong. I'll check again tonight

edit: I made the mistake of calling the co.

They just got bought out by Main.
New price structure:
5.289 for cooking (which I do-no heat)
2.939 <500 gal
2.789 <1000
2.719 >1000

They charged me 2.789.
I hope they don't look too hard, but it seems inevitable.
I'll have to keep an eye on it and may go to the RV tank thing.

velevetfoot,
What is the name of the company you're buying from? You're paying almost $1.00/gallon less than me. I'm near you in Ulster county.

Has anyone else had a propane refill for more gallons than they possibly think they could have used?

Status
Not open for further replies.