Another Way to Store Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet! Nice idea!...Thanks for sharing it with the forum!

For "reject" pipe...it is built pretty good. I would have figured the bottom would have "egged out" under all that weight...amazing.

Put some 'ends' on it...introduce a 'fan' or a heat source, and you have a dryer/kiln...nice!

I can't tell...but it looks like it's made from HD poly (plastic)... Must be one huge extruding machine at the factory!

Clever, though it'll work a lot better on flat ground than my hillside property. I'd hate to be chasing that down to the water and certainly wouldn't want to be in its way once it got rolling. (Hmm, might improve the view a bit though.)

Green? "One pass, 20 foot wide dozer...with gravity brake???"....lol

:cheese: Well, that might not fly too well with the owners. They bought the property and put it into a conservation trust about 10 years ago. As it grows up, my view diminishes.

Pretty cool. So how much wood can an 8.5' x 20' pipe hold?

Todd said:
Pretty cool. So how much wood can an 8.5' x 20' pipe hold?

Close to nine cords. I think.

Stand it on end- put some edge ways concrete blocks in the bottom -fit it with a pre-fab removable roof and viola....a firewood silo....
Mike

mtarbert said:
Stand it on end- put some edge ways concrete blocks in the bottom -fit it with a pre-fab removable roof and viola....a firewood silo....
Mike

A Holtz Siloen.

Stand it on end....set it in the ground about a foot.....fill it with wood.....attach a tight fitting metal top.....some vents on the bottom.....a stack in the top (roof)....light it in October and let it burn till spring.....or till the police come......just joking
Mike

mtarbert said:
Stand it on end....set it in the ground about a foot.....fill it with wood.....attach a tight fitting metal top.....some vents on the bottom.....a stack in the top (roof)....light it in October and let it burn till spring.....or till the police come......just joking
Mike

Heck. Put legs under it. Cap the ends and make one hell of a barrel stove out of it!

And like you say, light off nine cords and cruise through the winter.

If I had the space, I'd have one of those.

Thats a pretty cool idea. I like that

Doesn't seem like it would dry very fast in that thing.

Hi -

Most folks in the country don't cut wood that has bark on it. It's already quite dry before it hits the ground. Bark is messy anyway.

ATB,
Mike P

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

Most folks in the country don't cut wood that has bark on it. It's already quite dry before it hits the ground. Bark is messy anyway.

ATB,
Mike P
????????????????????????????????

budman said:
zzr7ky said:
Hi -

ATB,
Mike P
????????????????????????????????

I'm glad you said that! I had the same comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.