Another..what is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
This is a bush in the front yard, and we don't know what it is.
Thought it was a Lilac when we moved in, but it's not.
It needs to be pruned or cut down. Anybody know?
0603131414.jpg 0603131414a.jpg 0603131414b.jpg

looks like honeysuckle to me

It needs to be pruned or cut down. Anybody know?

If in the way, makes a mess & makes for more yard work;
AND
the wife don't like it
It would be cut down if in my yard . ;)

I'll look up honeysuckle...thanks.

Dave, wife doesn't really care for the thing, but might if I pruned it down.
I did it about 3 years ago, but it's got a bunch that needs to be cut back.
Good use for her sister's CS. :cool:::-)

Don't think it is honeysuckle for sure. And if it were, I doubt it would be in blossom in your area right now Dave. We call it hummingbird vine but there may be another name for it.

I think what you have there is invasive bush honeysuckle. I've removed all of it from my 4.5 acres and pull any sprouts. You can be certain if you happen to recall the red berries that come about later in the year.

It pulls out from the ground fairly easily, though the large ones take some work. I hit with an ax directly perpendicular to the trunk, into the ground, to chop a few of the roots and then the thing pulls out pretty easy.

matter of fact :), here I go again, I'll eat a raw piece of boxelder if it ain't bush honeysuckle :eek:
That's a tough bet to lose. You must be positive. Box Elder is some wicked smelling wood. Taste must be... whew:p

!!!Honeysuckle Bush! KILL IT! INVASIVE! And in the woods it takes over and does not let any other plants/tree have a chance. Overgrows everything not allowing enough light to reach the ground for anything to grow.!!!

Ralphie, step away from the keyboard, you're too close to the keyboard.;)
Actually, the Autumn Olive/Russian Olive is the one to get rid of around here. That stuff is everywhere and keeps spreading.!!!
That Russian Olive is like the plague. Every May I dread the smell those bushes release into the air. It has taken over a lot of the edge of the woods here. We just got over the stink of them about a week ago.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not sure why folks are saying honeysuckle is invasive and needs to get rid of it. Many folks want it for decorative purposes and it also is great for wildlife; especially deer.

That be honeysuckle fer sure. Not sure why folks would say it is invasive as it isnt here in the midwest. If you want to cut it back make sure your mad about sumpthin or you wont do a good enough job of it. If you want to get ride of it, dig it up, or cut it off at ground level and put some tordon on the cuts.
If you want to see invasive, come round here this summer and walk thru the multaflora rose in the timber. Wear yer leathers though.

Not sure why folks are saying honeysuckle is invasive and needs to get rid of it. Many folks want it for decorative purposes and it also is great for wildlife; especially deer.

There are native honeysuckle, and then there are invasive honeysuckle. I know from experience that the invasive bush honeysuckle grows quickly, spreads rapidly by seed droppings from birds, and crowds out all native plants. It leafs out much earlier than anything else in the woods, shading anything underneath, and holds it's leaves longer in fall too. I removed literally dozens and dozens of them from my property, along with the NASTY MULTIFLORA ROSE....almost the NASTIEST of all invasives except maybe for GIANT HOGWEED.

Don't confuse native honeysuckle with the invasive honeysuckle(s), they are two different things. The picture in this post I believe to be invasive bush honeysuckle, and my bet is that it ain't the only one around. If you learn what it looks like, at least here in Pennsylvania, you'll see it literally everywhere you go.

I'd chop that sucker out in a heartbeat.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_010229.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.