Another: What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
We find this occasionally in our woods which is predominately ash, hemlock, and some black cherry and maple.
It never seems to get very big before its crowded out by other species. It seems dense and heavy (although, it is green).

Any ideas? Photos below (US Quarter for scale).

Attachments

• PB010059.JPG
    PB010059.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 661
  • PB010060.JPG
    PB010060.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 664
Need leaves to ID

Is that elm?

Its a hard wood. No leaves, sorry. They've long since departed.

All of the elms I've seen here are dead without the bark.. so I'm not sure,
but a quick search on elm bark seems to indicate its probably not elm.

Looks simular to Hophornbeam,are the leaves small like on a Birch tree?

It does look like elm, but I would also guess hornbeam.
When I was growing up in Ithaca we had huge elm all over the place, but Dutch elm got them all. Occasionally though, you will find a few small live ones here and there - you stop and think, what could that be? Oh yeah, elm - forgot it existed.
Man, that stuff was a nightmare to split!

I looked up some pics of hophornbeam, and I think thats it. The bark looked exactly the same.
I think hophornbeam is the same as ironwood, at least around here.

Thats great, because it makes great firewood. I figured it wasn't elm, because I didn't have to curse while splitting it.
It split fairly easily, but the rounds are small.

Thank for everyones input and for playing another round of "What the heck kind of wood is this?"

Ironwood is a generic name that can refer to any really hard wood most often associtiated with horn beam,hop hornbeam,osage,ect.Of course its all good stuff.

I agree on Ironwood/Hop Hornbeam. I have some too, but won't be burning it for a couple more years. I think it's up there with Hickory as far as BTU's go.

Looks like a hornbeam to me. Cant be more specific than that without more info.

Jeff S said:
Ironwood is a generic name that can refer to any really hard wood most often associtiated with horn beam,hop hornbeam,osage,ect.Of course its all good stuff.
I've been wondering about that - is there one "true" ironwood species, and then a bunch of others that sort of borrowed the term for a nickname?
The one I knew (and I don't know its true name) as a kid in upstate NY had very smooth, grey bark and had a sinewy appearance like the muscles of an athlete (come to think, some people may have called it musclewood. It was incredibly dense, but never seemed to grow very large. Ring a bell to anyone?

I live in Schoharie County, NY and I've heard people around here call this type of wood you describe as Iron Wood, and it doesn't look anything
like the hophornbeam photos I posted at the beginning of this thread. I remember the trees, as they were pointed out to me, were
young and had a smooth grey-black bark. Its tough stuff and I was told it was good for tool handles.

branchburner said:
Jeff S said:
I've been wondering about that - is there one "true" ironwood species, and then a bunch of others that sort of borrowed the term for a nickname?
The one I knew (and I don't know its true name) as a kid in upstate NY had very smooth, grey bark and had a sinewy appearance like the muscles of an athlete (come to think, some people may have called it musclewood. It was incredibly dense, but never seemed to grow very large. Ring a bell to anyone?
I believe the the tree you are refering to is blue beech. Everyone here calls it ironwood also.

Hornbeam and Hophornbeam are 2 different trees but both members of the birch family and reffered to as Ironwood.

Hornbeam is nicknamed blue beach because of its similar smooth bark.

Hophornbeam has the rough bark.

One of the best reference book I have found is the "The National Audubon Society Field Guid to North American Trees" I have the Eastern Region edition.Once you get your hands on one you will spend hours in the woods and your easy chair pondering over it.Amazon books has several starting at $4

webby3650 said:
branchburner said:
Jeff S said:
I believe the the tree you are refering to is blue beech. Everyone here calls it ironwood also.

Thanks, that must be it - and yes homebrewz, sounds like the same stuff.

I agree, hophornbeam, I have a small amount scattered in my woods too. Superb firewood, too bad it doesn't typically grow more than 4-5" diam around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.