Another Wisconsin Garn Starting Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
Thanks to all the help from you folks in the Boiler Room and after filling for 5 hours I finally got the Garn filled and added the Preclean 775P.
My first fire was started Sunday at 2pm. After 3 hours 45 minutes the temperature had risen 55 degrees which should be a 935,000 BTU gain. Considering the two loadings and the amount of wood burned I was very satisfied.

I got about 2 gallons of creosote liquid in the barrel that had run out of the chimney and a little bit on the floor where it ran down the back of the Garn from the chimney.

It was recommended to me that I short circuit the supply/return to circulate the precleaner and avoid the chemical and debris from going to the heat exchangers. Mike at Precisionchem said that was unnecessary unless you are cleaning a previously used and sludgy/dirty boiler.

I started draining at 9 last night after firing and circulating for 31 hours. It is now just about empty (almost 12 hours later).

When empty I will fill with clean water, circulate to rinse piping and drain. This is what Mike says is the best way to flush all the precleaner from the system if you have the time and well capacity to do it.

I just went through the very same proccess. I also put a bypass in my shop on the primary piping before it takes off underground to the house and also in a 1.25 secondary loop for the shop HX. Everything went well except my G&P PL55 brand new primary pump has a squeak when I shut it down.I waiting for them to blame the install or the preclean.

Status
Not open for further replies.