Another Wood "deal"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
Guy tells me a friend of his is looking for someone to clear cut about 3 acres of land at his house and it is fairly close to mine (most oak some maple).
He wants to know if he can give him my name and number. I say sure, but I would really like at least the cost of fuel, oil, and chains in return.
Comes back to me with, bad news, he wants someone to come in and take the wood (thinks it can go to a lumber mill) AND take out the stumps.... (wait for it)....
For Free!!!

I can't believe these guys. Don't think they have ever run a saw in a tree let alone know how much work something like that takes.
I like getting wood, but this is crazy. Told him to tell the guy if he wants someone to take a few trees as help, I would, but he is nuts if he thinks someone is going to do this.
Anyone else ever get asked about "deals"?
Chad

I am happy to provide myself and my saw, chains, oils, and gas, and even stack brush in exchange for wood. I really can't expect anything better than a free tree, and if I agree to move the brush aside it usually means I am cutting in somebody's yard, which means easy access. Removing stumps is a whole different story. That clearly crosses the line between cutting firewood and clearing land . The first is a hobby which also heats the house, the second is a job for a contractor.

Wood Duck said:
Removing stumps is a whole different story. That clearly crosses the line between cutting firewood and clearing land .

+1. This guy is likely going to figure out that he is going to need an excavator/dozer and most likely a chipper at some point. Depending on the stand, he may find someone who can get money out of the logs. Just not all that likely with a small parcel that it sounds like may be close to his house.

If it were my 3 acres, I would use a large backhoe or excavator/tractor combo and tip the trees over instead of cutting them down.

I paid $2,000 last year to have 3/4 of an acre cleared, they left me about 10 cord of wood stacked, but they took far more.
AND I still had to have the stumps removed.

3 acres of trees? Oak and maple. If they are big enough for lumber he just might get someone to do it. Instead of them buying the trees from him they would be bulldozing stumps. If they have the equipment, they might have a job.

To pay someone to clear a woodlot is crazy. Sell the stuff and make dollars rather than paying them out.

Another way is like we did a few years ago. We sold some firewood on shares. No money changed hands but we got some firewood to sell and they did too.

Backwoods Savage said:
3 acres of trees? Oak and maple. If they are big enough for lumber he just might get someone to do it.

No commercial mills around here will accept logs from private property--even 4' diameter Black Walnut!!

Too much concern about nails, barbed wire, etc being embedded in the wood and destroying valuable equipment and/or causing injury

NP

Nonprophet said:
Backwoods Savage said:
3 acres of trees? Oak and maple. If they are big enough for lumber he just might get someone to do it.

No commercial mills around here will accept logs from private property--even 4' diameter Black Walnut!!

Too much concern about nails, barbed wire, etc being embedded in the wood and destroying valuable equipment and/or causing injury

NP
Around here that's where a great many of the logs come from , private property. There isn't much property here anymore that isn't privately owned.

i have given up on craigslist postings.
-most of the wood offered is willow.

-then there are the guys who want you to remove the tree, stump, and not mark their manicured lawn(they dot understand a tree falling will possibly damage grass for the short term)

-then there are the guys who have obviously gotten quotes for a tree removal, and want someone to do it for nothing(aside from the wood).
these trees are close to homes and other things that can be damaged, so not a easy job by a long shot.
oh, and the guy had the stones to request you have insurance to do the work, and prefers if you are 'in the biz'. he will pay you in the wood from the tree you cut up...
i got a good laugh out of that last one

Status
Not open for further replies.