Another Wood Gasification Boiler Hits the Market

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
Looks suspiciously like the Black Bear Boiler, which is made about 100 miles to the north.

http://www.adobeboiler.com

These are both water tube boilers with a huge refractory mass to store heat, and very little water in the boiler.

The flip side of gasification technology, such as that seen in the Tarm and EKO boilers, involves firetubes and 40 or 50 gallons of water around the firebox and refractory chamber. I believe the Garn and Greenwood are also firetube affairs, but with much higher water capacity than the Tarm/EKO design.

Anybody have a preference?

It actually looks a rebadged Seton from Montana, )or Seton is a licensed model from some common ancestor). Because the diagram is virtually identical.

Seton diagram

Seton appears to have been acquired by this company which has a range
of boilers. BurnsBest

So it looks like the technology might be being licensed out.

Another one I found which looks like it might be based on a GARN type
large integrated tank is this one Turbo-Burn

Wow, thanks guys for the links. Who knew? Looks like there might be a future in clean-burning central heat after all.

BTW, my local Adobe dealer got right back to me with a price. The 220K btu/hr model is about $8,000 for the indoor model, delivered. For the outdoor configuration, add another $400.

That big refractory chamber makes me a little nervous. The only review I've seen on the Greenwood is the guy who got his new one up and running, only to have a big crack develop in the refractory. He says the company sent him a can of Stovo and a putty knife. Or some such. You've probably seen the post if you've Googled Greenwood.

Eric Johnson said:
Looks suspiciously like the Black Bear Boiler, which is made about 100 miles to the north.

http://www.adobeboiler.com

These are both water tube boilers with a huge refractory mass to store heat, and very little water in the boiler.

The flip side of gasification technology, such as that seen in the Tarm and EKO boilers, involves firetubes and 40 or 50 gallons of water around the firebox and refractory chamber. I believe the Garn and Greenwood are also firetube affairs, but with much higher water capacity than the Tarm/EKO design.

Anybody have a preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.