Another wood ID here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhoth

Dec 5, 2008
Inland Northwest
Been a while since I last posted, just been lurking mostly... came across a nice free score but I'm not certain what this stuff is... thinking possibly some hard rock maple maybe, or red oak. This stuff seem to have been season for a while as there's a fair amount of checking. Still quite heavy though and hard as a rock! Didn't split too badly... really hard heavy wood and has the 'crack of the bat' sound to it, not much in the way of scent to it. So let's see if these pics help...

Attachments

• firewood.jpg
    firewood.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 304
  • firewood2.jpg
    firewood2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 315
A closer shot of that one end....

Attachments

• firewood3.jpg
    firewood3.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 311
It looks like rock maple to me.

But I can ID wood as well as I can ID a constallation in the big sky (the only one I know if the Big Dipper).

Andrew

I'm from the east coast, I would also guess some kind of maple.

Thanks for the input... and that's the pic I forgot to include, the grain!
Here ya go... and I'd have to agree with Maple I'm thinkin'... my father in-law says it's the kind that burns. Can't go wrong with that!

Attachments

• firewood4.jpg
    firewood4.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.