Another Wood ID Please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diodeduster

Dec 24, 2008
warminster pa
I scored a pile of this wood in my travels in nj while working. I have a tree id book that i recently purchased from barns and noble and without leaves it makes it a little harder to id but i am pretty shore its in the oak family. thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• wood id 021.JPG
    wood id 021.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 448
Don't take this personal but, those pictures really suck... Flash not working? How bout different angles?

Any smell to it? Red oak smells acidic from the tannins. Ash doesn't

jpl1nh said:
Any smell to it? Red oak smells acidic from the tannins. Ash doesn't

MMMM........forbidden tannins. Western redcedar has plenty to go around, although I think WRC gets its sweet smell from another component in its makeup. The bitter acidic taste is definitely the tannins though.

The pic needs to be brightened up, there a few trees that it looks like

Better but I still can't see the growth rings too well. Is this an open grained wood or closed grain like pine?

basswood or cucumber from a good source!!!!!!!

I've cut up cedar that looked like that grain...but if that was cedar you'd know right off by the smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.