another wood id question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjahnz

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2012
Minnesota
So, I have been splitting wood that didn't get split last year. Some of this stuff has been bucked for three years, and I can't remember where it came from. Ash elm and red maple are what make up the majority of what I burn. This one looks a bit different, any ideas? 1396381920690.jpg1396381999153.jpg1396382084133.jpg
The weight and tighter than normal ash, growth rings, are throwing me off. Maybe it is ash, I'm just not sure. Thanks.

Ash.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks again, nrford.

Because it slightly weathered from being bucked for so long it is kind of throwing me off but I think it looks like sassafras. Chop a fresh split and shove it right up to you nose, see if you get a fragrant, almost medicinal smell. The end grain is what really registered as sass in my mind. And you can kind of see a faint orange under the outermost bark that has faded. It would be brighter orange on a fresh tree that hadn't been sitting in rounds.

Because it slightly weathered from being bucked for so long it is kind of throwing me off but I think it looks like sassafras.
Sass would be very orange wherever the bark is chipped. But yeah, the bark has bigger, deeper furrows than what I'm used to seeing.

The smell test says ash, last fall I tried to discribe what ash smelled like to me. This has a smell, that I will categorize from now on, as ash. I quess the only other wood close to me is boxelder and buckthorn, if that can really be called wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.