Another wood id thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I've got what I think are 2 different types of Maple. The smooth bark one is some kind of soft maple (got it all over the property), but the rough bark type is unknown(also came from property, but different area). Anybody care to enlighten me?
The rough one is more dense. Can't teach it anything. :lol:

Attachments

• Maple1.jpg
    Maple1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Maple2.jpg
    Maple2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 213
red or silver maple

PapaDave said:
Thanks SJ. You're referring to the rough bark split, right?

even the smooth bark looks to be a limb of a silver.

Do silvers have multiple trunks?
That's the type all over the property. Seems kind of soft compared to the rough, and leaves more fluffy ash. Doesn't last as long in the firebox either.

Quite often the Silver Maple has multiple trunks.I seen plenty of huge ones in people's city yards,old abandoned farmsteads & right-of way edges in rural areas around here.Get massive size with age,most dont live over 75-100 yrs too often though.

Heres one I had this sumer. Thats a 460 28inch bar 361 with a 20in and a 192t 14inch.

5 trunks lol Think it was 58 inchs across the 5 trunks

Attachments

• 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 207
PapaDave said:
So not considered a "soft maple"? Hmmmm

most would say its a softwood. The trunks are good burning and if its curly even better. Med. wood on the btu scale

Definitely Silver.And you're right about the grain,I've seen & milled some that had good curl/rope figure that rivaled Sugar Maple.Makes wonderful large salad,fruit & popcorn bowls when turned on the lathe.Takes high polish also.Rough it out green,not in mid summer if you want to keep sapwood that nice bright white color.It will mould & develop blue sap stain quite rapidly.

smokinjay said:
PapaDave said:
So not considered a "soft maple"? Hmmmm

most would say its a softwood. The trunks are good burning and if its curly even better. Med. wood on the btu scale

Silver maple (the "smooth" one) is definitely a "soft" maple. Good for kindling or a quick fire.

The other one looks like Sugar Maple, aka Rock Maple. Great stuff, the sort you have ready for those sub-zero nights.

Silver maple sprouts readily with lots of stems from the stump when cut, thus all those thickets in cut-over areas. You might thin out most of them per stump, and get a few decent stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.