1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

another wood id

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mattjm1017, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Any idea what this is? Its center core is bright yellow I've never seen anything like it before.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Heres one of the bark. IMG_20130112_154555.jpg
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Maybe Yellow (Tulip) Poplar?
  4. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    Woody has it, Tulip.
  5. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Never heard of tulip I hope it burns good.
  6. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania

"Quick hot and quick out" is how it burns....and a little smoky.
  7. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Plenty here but I've never burned it. Low BTU rating...16M/cord. I have a few dead ones close by. Could make some decent kindling...
  8. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Is tulip and poplar the same thing? Ive burned some poplar before its like paper. Ill keep it it should be good to get things going.
  9. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yellow (Tulip) Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera L.) has a range covering most of the US east of the Mississippi. I'm not familiar with the other Poplars (thank God) which aren't in the Magnolia Family and I think are even poorer heat woods than Tulip.
  10. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Another poplar ID? Poplar seems to be popular. I think that is yellow poplar, aptly named for the heartwood color. AKA, tulip poplar. Grows mainly east of the Mississippi. All the poplar family woods (poplar, cottonwood and aspen) have low heat, smell funky (cat pee is as close as I can describe it) when they are burned, and can be a PITA to cut and split, especially when they are dry. They usually have a characteristic green or grey heartwood. They are used in furniture making as a secondary wood, and they are good in that they do not split or crack over time or when nailing. In other words, what makes them bad for splitting for firewood makes them good for cabinets and woodworking.

I am burning some black cottonwood here right now, and it stinks. It is 2 year dry and in my view not worth getting any more. I can get all the free poplar and cottonwood here that I want, but I pass it up. Why spend the time and take up space with wood that has about half the heating value as madrone, oak or locust? It is OK in the shoulder seasons I guess, but I do not like the smell of burning it, and many people avoid it here.