Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

planner steve

Burning Hunk
Dec 24, 2014
Northern Idaho
An old neighbor asked me to remove a wood pile from her home. She said it had been cut, split and stacked about 6 or 7 years ago. She thought some was a locust tree, which got my interest. I've hauled away about half a cord of obviously well seasoned, but very solid wood. While there was some black locust, there is also another tree I can't ID. I attached pics of the bark and grain. Any ideas?

Attachments

• bark 2.jpg
    bark 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • grain.jpg
    grain.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 166
  • bark 3.jpg
    bark 3.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 150
The bark is similar to dogwood, but it's a tree I'm not all that familiar with.

It reminds me of oak. A shot of the end grain would help.

The bark is similar to dogwood, but it's a tree I'm not all that familiar with.
I wish it was dogwood, really good firewood. But I have some year old dogwood and it doesn't look the same to me. See attached.

Attachments

• dogwood 1.jpg
    dogwood 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
I wish it was dogwood, really good firewood. But I have some year old dogwood and it doesn't look the same to me. See attached.

I can't see the attachment you posted, but I can say that it isn't Oak as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.