Another wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
I cut and split this last season to re stack on my new wood pile. It was nice dense stuff very similar to the maple I split along side. I was thinking it was done old cherry or something similar but it has dried to the weight of pine. Father in law says poplar but I haven't ever seen a poplar on our property. I almost thought hickory but didn't have the good smell. I'm at a loss and a little ticked I put effort into splitting this and it's junk. Any help with id will keep me from making another mistake. Fwiw it seems to have the same holes from bugs as the ash I split. 011666b9cb2e0ca7fc0bdcad665bf77e.jpg1a3c329245ecfffa2adaf299de644b95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Based on the low weight and the bark and the purplish tints in it I believe your Father in law is spot on with it being Poplar!

Reactions: JSeery
Ok thanks for the help, I won't make that mistake again. The tree had fallen last year and didn't have any leaves so I wasn't sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If the wood is not rotted, use for the shoulder season when you want a fire to take the chill off but don't need to burn 24/7. It is great for that.
Or, if you have an outdoor fire pit, it is good for that also.
Just s thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.