Another wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo's Dad

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
Canton, CT
b5859161a3ac07fe61da56c012d821b0.jpgc9b0d3dbbbc3132a7e43ed6df5e7e50b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hmm. Not something I think I have seen. Locust maybe? Do you have pictures of the leaves? How hard is it?

I posted it from my phone while splitting lol looks like it went up twice

Reactions: Woody Stover
Hickory of some sort? Is the wood heavy?

Yes very moist, that's probably right because we have alot of shagbark hickory here, and the inside looks similar

Black Walnut. I have a woodshed full of black walnut here in the NC mountains.
My map shows that the black walnut just makes it to the western edge of Connecticut.
It is easy to split. It is a hardwood and is decent firewood. Not as good as oak but it rates at about 21 million BTU per cord.
Black walnut is unbelievably wet. When I cut a drum of black walnut and set it on the chopping block, before I can whack it with the mighty Monster Maul, the sap just gushes out onto the chopping block.
The sap seems just like water.

I have got hundreds of black walnut here on my property. Had to whack a bunch of them because they kill the garden.

IMG_1270_zpsinpslyor.jpg

Also I made this summerbeam for my new log cabin from black walnut. This beam is 18 inches high and 8 inches thick.
If you get in the joint where a branch forms off of the trunk, where you have the curly black walnut, the wood is prized by gunstock and furniture makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley
I am gonna guess boxelder or butternut.

Not hickory. Too clean of split. Esp not shagbark.

Does look like walnut to me either. Bark looks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.