Another wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I'm pretty sure it's red oak?

Attachments

• P5050016.JPG
    P5050016.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 406
  • P5050018.JPG
    P5050018.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 410
What diameter was that round? Doesn't look quite like the Red Oak I have here. The white ring is throwing me off. Mine is usually pretty red all the way out to the bark. Bark also looks 'wrong', but what diameter round here?

Cluttermagnet said:
What diameter was that round? Doesn't look quite like the Red Oak I have here. The white ring is throwing me off. Mine is usually pretty red all the way out to the bark. Bark also looks 'wrong', but what diameter round here?

I'd say it was an 8-10 inch round. The white on the edge through me off also, I have almost a cord of northern red oak split and it was red to the edges. This wood is from when I was cutting tops after a guy sold some of his trees so I think that makes the bark harder to identify. I know he had beech trees also but looking at google imagines it doesn't exactly fit what I've seen.

It looks like red oak to me too.
As was mentioned the small will tell, Oak has a distinctive smell.

At least in the red oak family, maybe pin oak. I had some pin oak last summer that the smell reminded me of the well used cattle lots or pig pens I was around growing up on the farm. To me the normal red oak smell is not bad at all. Tony

Looks OK for Red Oak to me, although the stuff I am looking at out back doesn't have white sapwood and I am pretty certain it is Northern Red Oak. There are many species of oaks, so yours could be another closely related species - Black oak, Pin Oak, Cherrybark Oak... the likely species vary depending on where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.