Another Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Trying to put like woods in separate sections....got Cherry, Maple, Hickory, and Oak.....I'm thinking this goes with the Maple....still looking for Ash :long:
Was a big branch off this tree...about 4 feet at base, then splits into 4 trees
DSCN2082.jpg

Here it is split
DSCN2083.jpg

The actual tree it came off of is almost 2 feet across....I was originally thinking Oak....but it feels too light.....this grouping of trees is soooo rotted at the base, I dunno whats holding them up, but yet they survived every wind, and snow storm over the years

fortunateLEE said:
It's either silver or red maple.

I'd go with that.

Thanks guys....in the Maple pile it goes :cheese:

If you know how to tell them apart I'd stack the 'soft maples' - Red and Silver Maple - separate from 'hard maple' which is Sugar Maple. Hard Maple is right up there with oak and hickory in density. I don't konw where Norway Maple would go but I'd probably stack it with soft maple. If you happen to have Black Maple (sort of rare) I think it is a hard maple similar to Sugar Maple but I am not sure.

Wood Duck said:
If you know how to tell them apart I'd stack the 'soft maples' - Red and Silver Maple - separate from 'hard maple' which is Sugar Maple. Hard Maple is right up there with oak and hickory in density. I don't konw where Norway Maple would go but I'd probably stack it with soft maple. If you happen to have Black Maple (sort of rare) I think it is a hard maple similar to Sugar Maple but I am not sure.
Norway is pretty dense, a lot like sugar maple. But you are right, sugar maple is up there in burn qualities like red oak or hickory. It don't give the same coals, but it lasts a lot longer than soft maple. Norway maple seems to take a little longer to dry than sugar or soft maple, though.

fortunateLEE said:
It's either silver or red maple.
I'm leaning toward Silver, looking at the bark. Haven't burned it yet but it's supposed to be similar to Red, which I have tried. I've got to buck and haul home a Silver trunk that's about 12' long, 3' diameter.

I'm hoping the Wife will let me have a guy come in and drop these puppies.....then I'd take it from there. It branches off from the base into 4 trunks....all rotted at the bottom....a lot of wood to be had.

Soft maple. Splits easy and dries fast. Makes great kindling wood too. We burn quite a bit of it here and like it. Just don't depend on it for a really cold mid winter night as it will give lots of heat but not for as long as the harder woods.

I think soft maples are given a bad rap. Seasons fast, starts fast and coals pretty good. Not a long heat by any means but a lot on a short period. I like mixing with oak or hickory. Gets the stove temp up so the dense woods can burn long after. Red maple on the bottom, hickory on top seems to work best for me. That way the air wash can burn a hole right through the middle after 5 or 6 hours... I sometimes get preoccupied looking for dense wood but need that shoulder or mix wood or else!

Status
Not open for further replies.