Another year, a familiar problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Well, wouldn't be a burning season without an issue.

Have the stove under a full load tonight. She is running like a charm cruising at 600 or so, but when I just went downstairs to check on the stove before going to bed I could hear a familiar whistling sound. The joint on the back of the stove between the side panel and rear of the stove is sucking air.

This is the problem I had the stove shop come out to look at last year that led to my many documented problems at the end of last year. For now, my plan is to let the stove go out tomorrow and to patch the joint with some stove cement. Yes, a short term solution, but I just cannot face having to bring someone in again to tear the whole stove down.

Hopefully this is not an indication of how this winter is going to be.

Have you thought about moving to a warmer climate? <>

I hope this hurdle is resolved quicker than what you encountered the previous two winters.

Stove cement should get you thru this cold snap.
What would be the permanent solution, new stove ?

Think the permanent solution would involve terming the stove down and revealing that joint properly. Buying a new stove is not an option right now. This problem is manageable, just a PITA for a while.

As for moving to a warmer climate, sorry, but New England is where this boy will always be.

Reactions: dylskee and milleo
Ive never herd of a jotul leaking. you didnt drop it down the stairs did you?

Think the permanent solution would involve terming the stove down and revealing that joint properly. Buying a new stove is not an option right now. This problem is manageable, just a PITA for a while.

As for moving to a warmer climate, sorry, but New England is where this boy will always be.
I don't think you should have to buy a new stove. Sounds like Jotul should make the right decision and put in a new 600 for you. I'd be a little annoyed at this point and would be giving my dealer crap for it. Not that the dealer is the reason the stove isn't working, but someone needs a fire lit under them to make sure the customer is happy. You had to replace the top casting within the first few months of burning. Now it looks like you will have to do that again.

To put it simply; that ain't right.

Sorry to hear about the problem remkel. I too would use the stove cement for a temporary fix.

Reactions: remkel
Sorry to hear about the problem remkel. I too would use the stove cement for a temporary fix.
Just another year, Dennis. I feel a letter to Jotul is in my future.

Just another year, Dennis. I feel a letter to Jotul is in my future.
I would do it now. Get this out of the way before winter really starts rolling. Stuff like this eats at me and would annoy me every time I would have to load the stove. Hope it works out and is resolved quickly.

I would do it now. Get this out of the way before winter really starts rolling. Stuff like this eats at me and would annoy me every time I would have to load the stove. Hope it works out and is resolved quickly.
+1 not to mention it might get the wheels rolling to accommodate a replacement or major overhaul.
cass

Can I ask a stupid question??? I've got a little (almost very slight sucking sound) whistling also...and it varies when I change the inlet position...louder when opened more less when it's closed more. I thought it might be a normal deal. My Oslo is only 2 months old.

Depends where the sucking sound is coming from. If the noise you are hearing is at the primary air feed (I believe the Oslo is at the front of the stove like the 600) then I would think that is normal. My stove is whistling at the rear where the side panel joins with the back of the stove. Looked inside the stove and found where the cement has failed (actually found a piece in the ashes). If that is the case on your stove, then it is not normal.

There is a reason why I've always bought welded steel stoves with firebrick lining. No joints to unseal themselves over time.

There is a reason why I've always bought welded steel stoves with firebrick lining. No joints to unseal themselves over time.
That firebox can still crack like many of the PE summit inserts we've seen on here. Every stove can have an issue.

Reactions: neumsky
Depends where the sucking sound is coming from. If the noise you are hearing is at the primary air feed (I believe the Oslo is at the front of the stove like the 600) then I would think that is normal. My stove is whistling at the rear where the side panel joins with the back of the stove. Looked inside the stove and found where the cement has failed (actually found a piece in the ashes). If that is the case on your stove, then it is not normal.

My sound or so called sucking sound is coming from the rear and assuming...and you know what that can mean...haha..that is air going up the rear of the stove up the flue.

My sound or so called sucking sound is coming from the rear and assuming...and you know what that can mean...haha..that is air going up the rear of the stove up the flue.
That sounds like your primary air intake. Nothing to worry about.

Remkel . . . it's definitely time to write Jotul and your local dealer. I hate to say it, but I think you may have got the stove that was put together on the Friday before the winter holidays . . . either that or the first one put together on the day after New Year's Eve.

Ditto on getting it taken care of now, before that stove's too old for Jotul to care about it. Assuming it's still under warranty, I'd have them visiting to repair it as many times as it took for them to either fix it, or get tired of repairing and offer to replace.

Yes, defects happen, even with the best of products. It sounds like this one should have not made it off the factory floor.

Can I ask a stupid question??? I've got a little (almost very slight sucking sound) whistling also...and it varies when I change the inlet position...louder when opened more less when it's closed more. I thought it might be a normal deal. My Oslo is only 2 months old.

No.

Reactions: remkel
That firebox can still crack like many of the PE summit inserts we've seen on here. Every stove can have an issue.
I don't have an insert. The firebrick can crack after awhile, and if its a really big deal then you can replace it. I have the steel model, steel doesn't crack, cast can and does though.

I don't have an insert. The firebrick can crack after awhile, and if its a really big deal then you can replace it. I have the steel model, steel doesn't crack, cast can and does though.

Incorrect, as we have all seen in this forum.

trust me and the band new stove PE supplied me, steel can crack!

Status
Not open for further replies.