Another Zero Clearance Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jghall

Jan 3, 2008
Metro Atlanta
Hello all, I have been scouring the forums for a while an I have not found an answer to my question so far... I am looking to install an Insert into my Zero clearance fireplace... The firplace is a Temco (not sure of spelling at the moment) 42" pre fab metal firplace... I have more width and depth available than any insert on the market can fill, I am just a little limited on hight due to my brick facing which reduces the number of approved units I can purchace... I do realize that I need an insert that is approved for installation into a pre-fab unit... However my question is this, What is the difference between a pre fab approved and a masonry only stove??? I have been to several local dealers looking at a few different stoves an I see no difference... You look at 2 different stoves from the same manufacturer inside and out, one is not pre fab approved but the other is (maybe one is larger or smaller than the other) and they are made exactly the same way with the exact same materials... The firebox on the approved model isn't any further from the bottom or the back of the unit than the non-approved, there is no extra "insulation" in the approved unit, they are made from the same thickness steel, they have the same sized fire brick... What gives??? I was just wondering, I am still buying an approved unit I was just curious... Thanks for any help you can provide...

Your observations may be correct. In order to be approved for ZC installation, it must be tested in that environment. Testing is expensive and thus limited. That narrows the choices down but assures peace of mind and happy insurance companies.

Yes, the units have been tested and listed for that application - and are usually shorter than most other inserts in the market do that they can fit into the particular fireboxes they are approved for. They are also typically smaller in other dimensions also.

But as far as being a completely different animal - not, they are not. Just sized and tested for that application.

So theoretically, a zero clearance approved insert is no different than a non approved stove in construction or extra insulatio/safety features it has only been tested???

In theory it is no different except for sizing and testing...and installation details (related to testing).

That theory does not mean that a larger insert WOULD pass the same testing....in fact, it probably would not. But in terms of the basic design there is no magic involved.

Thanks for all your replies, I was just curious... I went to my local dealer today and orderd a new Buck model 74, $1700.00, Plus a new full satinless flue liner $500.00, and $400 for installation... I could not turn down the $400 for the installation, that seems too reasonable to keep me from having to carry a 460lb stove up my front steps (8 Of Them) and into my living room...

Status
Not open for further replies.