Anther update on score of white ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone!

Well - I've managed to get as much wood as possible from the road crew cutting which I mentioned on a few posts from ~ 2-3 weeks ago. Spent all day splitting/stacking. Have a little more to do tomorrow, but almost done. Managed to cut/haul/split/stack 7.5 cord in the last 3 weeks! Ended up being a lot of ash, with about 3 cord of red oak, sugar and red maple, cherry, and a smattering of birch. At least a year and a half of heat for FREE! Stack looks nice - will post pics when finally done! Cheers!

NH_Wood, that is great! You are doing things right. Now you should have time to make sure you are at least 2 years ahead....then start on getting yourself 3 years ahead. Then you can laugh at the world!

Backwoods Savage said:
NH_Wood, that is great! You are doing things right. Now you should have time to make sure you are at least 2 years ahead....then start on getting yourself 3 years ahead. Then you can laugh at the world!

Thanks! I managed to put away 10 cord (mainly red oak, but ash, cherry, and birch mixed in) this past summer - so, I'm up to nearly 18 cord c/s/s on property. So...assuming 5 cord winters, I'm working on year 4 right now! I'm taking all the advice about using well seasoned wood to heart! I'm about 5 weeks away from the Mansfield delivery, and can't wait to try her out! Unfortunately, 18 cord and no seasoned wood!!!! So...I'm trying to trade a ~ 1/4 cord of my unseasoned wood for the same amount of seasoned wood from a good friend of mine - that should give me a couple weeks of burning in mid-March to see how the stove performs. We'll see!

Way to go. Might as well get free wood while it is available nearby. It might not always be so easy, but what do you care? You have heat for the next five years.

Wood Duck said:
Way to go. Might as well get free wood while it is available nearby. It might not always be so easy, but what do you care? You have heat for the next five years.
5 years?! I hope so......but I'm betting the Mansfield will chew through the wood a little faster - BUT, I'm sure hoping you prove me wrong!!! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thanks! I managed to put away 10 cord (mainly red oak, but ash, cherry, and birch mixed in) this past summer - so, I'm up to nearly 18 cord c/s/s on property. So...assuming 5 cord winters, I'm working on year 4 right now! I'm taking all the advice about using well seasoned wood to heart! I'm about 5 weeks away from the Mansfield delivery, and can't wait to try her out! Unfortunately, 18 cord and no seasoned wood!!!! So...I'm trying to trade a ~ 1/4 cord of my unseasoned wood for the same amount of seasoned wood from a good friend of mine - that should give me a couple weeks of burning in mid-March to see how the stove performs. We'll see!

No doubt about it. You are going to be a very happy camper! Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.