Anti-freeze agents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberbuilt

Oct 10, 2009
Montana
I'm in the process of adding glycol to my system. I was in a hurry and/or cheap at the install of the system and didn't put Glycol in initially. I soon realized this fall as I tried to leave for a week to hunt that I had a major concern with freezing when my system wasn't running. My question is: does anyone have a good method to add glycol to their system? I've got a small 1/2 hp transfer pump but it seems to be difficult get it into the system without introducing a bunch of air. I also found out from the test strips that I got with the glycol that I need to add some acid reducer. Does anyone have a recommendation for acid reduction agents? Further how about a rule of thumb or advice on the amount of glycol to add? I'm shooting for 30% but maybe this isn't appropriate?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.