anticreosote powders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
I'm burning a wood furnace so it is a non EPA aet-up and does smoke some. Do the anticreosote powders work? and if so which one do the best. I have chimney sweeped once a year and the chimney sweep thinks it looks good.

I use the powder Tri sodium phosphate. It is the active ingredient in the creosote removers and is a cleaner available in most hardware stores much cheaper. A two pound tub is around 3 dollars. Just sprinkle it on the hot coals and close the doors.
Mike

I read this about chloride based cleaners.

Here is an excerpt from the Wood Energy Technical Training reference manual, part of the Canadian training and certification system for wood heat technicians and inspectors

Chloride-based powders, containing copper, zinc, or other metals, are the oldest form of chimney chemical. The active ingredients in these powders are the heavy metals and chlorides which have the corrosive qualities of salt. Chloride-based powders are effective only at high temperatures, so they are sprinkled on an intense fire. Tests have shown that this form of anti-creosote powder is not particularly effective and the chloride-based powders attack steel and cast iron. Therefore, chloride-based powders are not recommended."

johnsopi said:
I read this about chloride based cleaners.

Here is an excerpt from the Wood Energy Technical Training reference manual, part of the Canadian training and certification system for wood heat technicians and inspectors

Chloride-based powders, containing copper, zinc, or other metals, are the oldest form of chimney chemical. The active ingredients in these powders are the heavy metals and chlorides which have the corrosive qualities of salt. Chloride-based powders are effective only at high temperatures, so they are sprinkled on an intense fire. Tests have shown that this form of anti-creosote powder is not particularly effective and the chloride-based powders attack steel and cast iron. Therefore, chloride-based powders are not recommended."

Did the article point to any product that is safe and effective?

They said if using achemical treatment, look for manganese based liquids, but not which ones.

You are right Tri sodium phosphate has no chlorides. I'll try it. How much do you put in?

This may not sound very scientific but, I half fill an empty snuff (copenhagen) with TSP and put it in (on) a hot bed of coals and then close the doors. Has worked for me...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.