Antique Coal/Wood/boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
Found this boiler for sale. The owner says its a WEIL-McLAIN MODEL 407 SERIES 1 rated at 280,000 btu and is rated to burn wood/coal/oil/gas. Has any body ever had any experience with anything like this ? Also what are the two small doors on the top of the boiler for ? I know it's probably not real efficent but I love old stuff and I bet it's good for another hunderd years.

Attachments

• coal boiler.JPG
    coal boiler.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 614
  • coal boiler2.JPG
    coal boiler2.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 596
they're not terribly innefficient as you would expect from it's age. the doors on top are cleanouts for use with coal or wood. ideally these boilers are fired by a coal underfed stoker; which, can still be purchased new today should you really want to put that boiler to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.