1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Antique fireplace insert questions

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by ricemg, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricemg

ricemg New Member

Loc:
    Denver, CO
    Hello!

I have an 1890 Victorian here in Denver with just a hole where the fireplace used to be. I cam across a beautiful vintage gas fireplace insert that looks like it is from the same era that I am considering buying. It is a "Ray-Glo".

Does anybody know what type of gas it probably takes? If something other than natural gas, could it be converted?

How about efficiency? I am certain newer fireplaces are more efficient, but they aren't nearly as cool as this one! If it were functioning, would it put out decent heat or would it be more for show?

Please see attached picture and thank you in advance for any help!

Ryan

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    No pics attached....but
    anything that old is likely to not have any of the safety systems built in....which are common in newer appliances.

We may not be able to help with much here - because antique stoves are not our specialty, but there are some antique stove links at the page:
    http://www.hearth.com/partsplace.html

Also, there is a specialty shop which deals with old style Victorian fireplaces...well, with new units that fit them, anyway....

see:
    http://www.gascoals.net/
  3. ricemg

ricemg New Member

Loc:
    Denver, CO
    Hi Craig,

Thank you for your post and the links. I will check them out. I will also peruse your site for modern alternatives. If you have any suggestions for a modern product that stays true to an 1890 Victorian please pass them on.

Thanks again!

Ryan
  4. texaschimneypro

texaschimneypro New Member

Loc:
    Houston, Tx
    I would stay away from anything old. This is your health and home at stake here! If you could even get the proper flue and materials to install it I wouldn't trust the safety of it. Try a new unit and then make it look old with the stone and mantle you put around it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.