1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Antique Wooden Table

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by thewoodlands, Jun 20, 2011.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

What is the best way you can get a ring out of the top of a wooden table which was caused by the bottom of a metal can.

zap

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Is the ring indented, stained, or just in the finish?
  3. thewoodlands

I would say just stained, not much finish left.

Zap
  4. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I have cleaned wood with TSP, but it may bleach the area a bit so that it doesn't match the rest of the table (could do the whole thing I guess).

I am a fan of letting antiques go "antique" looking, but it depends on the piece and where it is.
  5. thewoodlands

It just might be a fall job, it's been in her family for about 60 - 70 years.

Zap
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Depending on the piece - you may want to rub the top down with some "old english oil". They have a light and a darker color to match the existing finish. Or lightly work it in to the discolored ring. If the finish is badly worn/aged it could prove very difficult to get that ring out without altering the worn finish.

If it is an important piece, you may want to take it to a pro (or a picture) and ask.

A pic might help here, also.
  7. thewoodlands

Jags, I'll have one up after we do some jobs around the house and if I get time a run back in the woods for some rounds of maple that need some attention.

Zap
  8. thewoodlands

Jags, here is the picture and the camera makes the table and ring look better then it really is.

Zap

Attached Files:

9. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    If that is rust from the metal can, I may have just embedded in the finish coat. Try a very fine grit sandpaper and see if it will lighten up. Hopefully it is just that and not into the wood grain. If it yields, a light sanding all over the top and a thin coat of finish will help protect it from future blemishes. That is some beautiful wood grain there.
  10. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I've never tried this but have heard that toothpaste may work well.
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    That is gonna be a tough one, I believe. Your really not out much for trying some of the suggestions above. My best guess is that you will probably need a sanding and a refinish to completely remove it. I can understand the pain in doing so with an aged patina like that.

Down side - if you choose to retain the patina, you just got a new "beauty mark"

Up side - if you choose to refinish, you will have a perfectly beautiful table. That table has a wonderful grain pattern to it that a new finish would make "pop".

These are just my opinion - I am NOT a pro at this stuff. Jay might have some wizardry up his sleeve. He is the local table guru.
  12. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I'd get a bunch of old tools, cans etc and lay them on the table for a while. Go for broke. :)
  13. wannabegreener

wannabegreener Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    We used to get water stains on the buffet from the fish tank when we were kids. My mother used to get them off by using mayonaise. I know this is a different stain, but it might be worth a try. I think she kept it on there overnight. You could try a small area to see if it will lift the stain.
  14. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Every old table I've ever seen get a water stain in the finish- it goes away after it dries an hour or so.
  15. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Or just find a can or candle the exact size of the ring and place it on the table in the same spot . . . voila . . . problem fixed . . . as long as no one moves the can, candle, vase, etc. :)
  16. thewoodlands

Jake funny you mention that, when I finally went home yesterday I looked at the table and said you got the ring out which my wife replied no I just turned the table then put the tabletop lazy susan on it.

zap
  17. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Nice! I have fixed "check engine" lights with a 1" piece of electrical tape, too
  18. thewoodlands

Take the positive cable off the battery for thirty minutes then hook it back up and it does the trick.

Zap
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Lemon oil! Pure you can find it at most big box stores.
  20. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    . . . only to have it lock up my theft-resistant radio so that I had to go to the dealer to get a code and be shown how to reactivate the radio. :) ;) HehHeh . . . story of my life.
  21. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    You can get rid of some marks by covering with a rag and running a hot iron across the rag.
  22. rustynut

rustynut Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    mid mich
    might try some fine steel wool and then polish ?
    rn
  23. dave11

dave11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Be careful about following some of the home-grown advice you've gotten. You don't want to seal any more of the water into the finish.

Actually, a great way to remove water rings from a film finish is with something most of us have--wood ashes.

Get some really fine wood ash, and softly buff them into the area with the ring on it. Don't scratch it in, just rub. Let it sit for a couple days, and rub it now and then. The ashes will draw the moisture back through the finish, though if the water wasn't pure, it might leave a stain behind. White rings are usually just plain water, and come out easily. Your ring looks dark, and might have been left behind after the water dried.