Antique Wooden Table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
What is the best way you can get a ring out of the top of a wooden table which was caused by the bottom of a metal can.

zap

Adios Pantalones said:
Is the ring indented, stained, or just in the finish?

I would say just stained, not much finish left.

Zap

I have cleaned wood with TSP, but it may bleach the area a bit so that it doesn't match the rest of the table (could do the whole thing I guess).

I am a fan of letting antiques go "antique" looking, but it depends on the piece and where it is.

Adios Pantalones said:
I have cleaned wood with TSP, but it may bleach the area a bit so that it doesn't match the rest of the table (could do the whole thing I guess).

I am a fan of letting antiques go "antique" looking, but it depends on the piece and where it is.

It just might be a fall job, it's been in her family for about 60 - 70 years.

Zap

Depending on the piece - you may want to rub the top down with some "old english oil". They have a light and a darker color to match the existing finish. Or lightly work it in to the discolored ring. If the finish is badly worn/aged it could prove very difficult to get that ring out without altering the worn finish.

If it is an important piece, you may want to take it to a pro (or a picture) and ask.

A pic might help here, also.

Jags said:
Depending on the piece - you may want to rub the top down with some "old english oil". They have a light and a darker color to match the existing finish. Or lightly work it in to the discolored ring. If the finish is badly worn/aged it could prove very difficult to get that ring out without altering the worn finish.

If it is an important piece, you may want to take it to a pro (or a picture) and ask.

Jags, I'll have one up after we do some jobs around the house and if I get time a run back in the woods for some rounds of maple that need some attention.

Zap

Jags said:

Jags, here is the picture and the camera makes the table and ring look better then it really is.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3226.jpg
    100_3226.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 280
If that is rust from the metal can, I may have just embedded in the finish coat. Try a very fine grit sandpaper and see if it will lighten up. Hopefully it is just that and not into the wood grain. If it yields, a light sanding all over the top and a thin coat of finish will help protect it from future blemishes. That is some beautiful wood grain there.

I've never tried this but have heard that toothpaste may work well.

That is gonna be a tough one, I believe. Your really not out much for trying some of the suggestions above. My best guess is that you will probably need a sanding and a refinish to completely remove it. I can understand the pain in doing so with an aged patina like that.

Down side - if you choose to retain the patina, you just got a new "beauty mark"

Up side - if you choose to refinish, you will have a perfectly beautiful table. That table has a wonderful grain pattern to it that a new finish would make "pop".

These are just my opinion - I am NOT a pro at this stuff. Jay might have some wizardry up his sleeve. He is the local table guru.

We used to get water stains on the buffet from the fish tank when we were kids. My mother used to get them off by using mayonaise. I know this is a different stain, but it might be worth a try. I think she kept it on there overnight. You could try a small area to see if it will lift the stain.

wannabegreener said:
We used to get water stains on the buffet from the fish tank when we were kids. My mother used to get them off by using mayonaise. I know this is a different stain, but it might be worth a try. I think she kept it on there overnight. You could try a small area to see if it will lift the stain.

Every old table I've ever seen get a water stain in the finish- it goes away after it dries an hour or so.

Adios Pantalones said:
I'd get a bunch of old tools, cans etc and lay them on the table for a while. Go for broke. :)

Or just find a can or candle the exact size of the ring and place it on the table in the same spot . . . voila . . . problem fixed . . . as long as no one moves the can, candle, vase, etc. :)

firefighterjake said:
Adios Pantalones said:
I'd get a bunch of old tools, cans etc and lay them on the table for a while. Go for broke. :)

Or just find a can or candle the exact size of the ring and place it on the table in the same spot . . . voila . . . problem fixed . . . as long as no one moves the can, candle, vase, etc. :)

Jake funny you mention that, when I finally went home yesterday I looked at the table and said you got the ring out which my wife replied no I just turned the table then put the tabletop lazy susan on it.

zap

Adios Pantalones said:
Nice! I have fixed "check engine" lights with a 1" piece of electrical tape, too

Take the positive cable off the battery for thirty minutes then hook it back up and it does the trick.

Zap

zapny said:
What is the best way you can get a ring out of the top of a wooden table which was caused by the bottom of a metal can.

zap

Lemon oil! Pure you can find it at most big box stores.

zapny said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Nice! I have fixed "check engine" lights with a 1" piece of electrical tape, too

Take the positive cable off the battery for thirty minutes then hook it back up and it does the trick.

Zap

. . . only to have it lock up my theft-resistant radio so that I had to go to the dealer to get a code and be shown how to reactivate the radio. :) ;) HehHeh . . . story of my life.

You can get rid of some marks by covering with a rag and running a hot iron across the rag.

might try some fine steel wool and then polish ?
rn

Be careful about following some of the home-grown advice you've gotten. You don't want to seal any more of the water into the finish.

Actually, a great way to remove water rings from a film finish is with something most of us have--wood ashes.

Get some really fine wood ash, and softly buff them into the area with the ring on it. Don't scratch it in, just rub. Let it sit for a couple days, and rub it now and then. The ashes will draw the moisture back through the finish, though if the water wasn't pure, it might leave a stain behind. White rings are usually just plain water, and come out easily. Your ring looks dark, and might have been left behind after the water dried.

Status
Not open for further replies.