Ants in the Wood Pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscs.moore

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2015
Eastern PA
I have about 2 cords (covered with some plastic tarps on top) seasoning in my back yard. I noticed the other day when I picked up a split that was sitting on the tarp...that it seemed to have an ant colony living in it. When I turned it over a whole bunch of ants starting coming out. So my question is...is this anything to be concerned about? Can ants start to infiltrate a wood pile or are critters/bugs in a wood pile just normal? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm still fairly new to wood burning:)

Some people will spray their wood pile for insects but I don't, and yes there are always critters in the pile. I usually find they leave as the wood dries and the weather gets colder, and if not, well the stove takes care of them.

Reactions: D8Chumley
If they are close to the house, keep a watch for satellite colonies. Are these carpenter ants?

Generally speaking they leave after the wood is split and dried. I do not treat mine.

Generally speaking they leave after the wood is split and dried. I do not treat mine.

When I have put some wood aside that had ants, I have found they vacate quickly once wood is split. Within a week so, most if not all should be gone. As Said above, just allow wood to dry away from house a bit, and you should have no worries.

Carpenter ants generally leave rounds and splits as they are not an amenable environment for them
I've seen thatching ants make nests in the stacks - they're not actually in the firewood splits themselves though
I've had termites get into a stack up on wood rails
I've had little black ants get into a stack up on wood rails

Top covering ( dry ) and minimizing contact with the ground helps here.

It's normal to see ants in the woodpile this time of year. They're building new colonies. You can get rid of 'em easily enough with some Sevin dust. Keep it dry ~ Sevin doesn't work if it gets wet.

Due to the cool, damp weather, we're still burning. I'm encountering the usual suspects when picking from the stacks ~ ants, wood roaches, beetles and the occasional mystery bug.

Chipmunks enjoy running through the wood piles and I usually uncover a few mice nests every year along with the multi legged creatures.

Ants no issue...

My numerous piles, all have 1-2 snakes each.... Good place to take the youngins or the wife to show them some herp's in the wild. They are only hlack snakes, but cool to see.

Some of the kiddos saw a snake go under the woodpile the other day.
Multicolored brown snake they said.
Wifey is worried about which multicolored brown snake it could be...moving woodpile anyway to a new location in that the wifey does not like where the pile is right now. Need to step it up now she says.
My thought (which she did not appreciate) is, if there's snakes, there won't be a mouse problem in the house this year and maybe they will get rid if some of the stupid chipmunks.
I did not win any brownie points with that comment. On a positive note, the woodpile is being moved to where I wanted it in the first place. Should be able to do a row 12 pallets long.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Can I borrow the snake? I have several things on the property I would like to move.
Yeah, if the wifey doesn't get it with a shovel, it's all yours. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.