1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ants in the wood pile.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by muleman51, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    I have these big black ant in some of my wood. How do you get rid of them. I'm not organtic so I don't really care what has to be done. Somebody told me kerosene but that didn't seem like too bright an idea to me, although it would make lighting a fire easier.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    Dip 'em in chocolate? We live in a sandy area, where there are a lot of ants, but I've never seen them in the wood pile after the wood
    has been split and stacked. Unless they're getting in your house, i wouldn't worry about it.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    7 dust
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I agree. I was out stacking wood yesterday and kept running into ants. I don't like them but refuse to worry about them. They will find a new home once the wood dries.

Funny, another thing I ran into was a red squirrel nest way down in the pile.
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I've never seen anything other than spiders in my wood pile. I imagine I've turned some carpenter bees into btu's though. When stacking I've put up lots of wood with carpenter ants in them. They go away.

Matt
  6. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Terro
  7. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    I mix up a stong solution of water and TSP. Spray the wood (soak) with the solution and it will kill the critters. A real plus is that when the solution dries and you burn the wood the TSP cleans the chimney.
    Mike
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hey Lee, I've never had any luck with Terro on the big black buggers. Works great on any other ant but doesn't seem to have any effect on the big ones. I've always wondered why.
  9. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    If it's stacked in a way that it can dry out the ants will disappear.

If there's wet spots where it can't dry perhaps little reatacking is in order.
  10. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    let me guess, this wood is soft maple
  11. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    The big black ants are Carpenter Ants. I have found them in almost every species of wood I have. They aren't in every tree, but they aren't too selective around here either. The wood they are in I split on the small side, and they seem to abondon ship immediately. I don't think they are living in my wood stacks, but I guess I won't know for sure until I move it to burn. Or maybe I'll just burn them and never realize they are there.
  12. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    I know that if you leave soft maple in the rounds in the sun the ants love them..soft maple rots from the inside out and when moist inside they love it...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.