Ants in Your Splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
About 3 weeks ago, went and got a couple of truck/trailer loads of firewood from a guy who was clearing some land. Trees were all cut down last fall and he had bulldozed most of it into piles. Went ahead and cut into lengths we could haul and got loaded up. Been slowly splitting for the last week or so and have ran into a few pieces that have ants in them. Just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. You can't really tell it from the outside, but as soon as you split, here they are. In about 5 minutes, they all seem to disappear.

Do I keep this wood and stack it with the rest or do I need to burn it now to get rid of the ants. Already have a good amount of good wood stacked and am afraid of hurting the rest of it? It will be for an OWB so the splits will never come in the house. Furthermore, I don't know what kind of wood it is, as I can only tell a few different types.

Any I time I find a round inhabited like that, I split it small enough to make sure all inhabitants are evicted and that it dries out. If it is really nasty, the round gets tossed.

Once the moisture is gone so should the ants, I wouldn't about it.

I usually toss the ant-filled pieces to the side . . . and come back a day or two later to find no more ants. As mentioned the ants leave their home pretty quickly . . . but then again wouldn't you if you were sitting home watching Survivor and then all of a sudden a giant with a huge saw ripped your home in two, killing your wife and 234 children . . . and then after the carnage had passed and the survivors were wiping off the hot oil and recovering from the fumigating from the gas/oil mix your home was suddenly picked up, plunked on to a large metal beam and a giant wedge of death came crashing through what remained of your home killing off another 176 of your children . . . if you survived all this . . . you would probably think it was time to move on . . .

firefighterjake said:
I usually toss the ant-filled pieces to the side . . . and come back a day or two later to find no more ants. As mentioned the ants leave their home pretty quickly . . . but then again wouldn't you if you were sitting home watching Survivor and then all of a sudden a giant with a huge saw ripped your home in two, killing your wife and 234 children . . . and then after the carnage had passed and the survivors were wiping off the hot oil and recovering from the fumigating from the gas/oil mix your home was suddenly picked up, plunked on to a large metal beam and a giant wedge of death came crashing through what remained of your home killing off another 176 of your children . . . if you survived all this . . . you would probably think it was time to move on . . .
It sounds so wrong when you put it that way. :)

oldspark said:
firefighterjake said:

Nobody watches Survivor anymore!

Very well put Jake! You must have had a good weekend.

I do what Jake does - split it small, toss it aside, and in a couple of days I find the ants have gone, so I stack it.

I have never had ants in my house until I started splitting wood. I split about 30 feet or so away. If you just toss the splits aside ya the ants will disappear alright but they'll find their way right into your house!. I just got done splitting up some rounds and a couple were full of black ants. That's why now I keep a can of raid right next to me. I eradicate them immediately. Then I'll stack the wood when I know they are all dead. Trust me you'll find them in your cabinets if you don't kill 'em.

you can spray them with soapy water usually kills em and safe for the enviroment

I sat on a stump one time and had ants in my pants.

oldspark said:
firefighterjake said:

:coolgrin: But true, so true. :)

Shari

iceman said:
you can spray them with soapy water usually kills em and safe for the enviroment
One year my wife stored a bale of straw in my woodshed and bees moved into it. When I evicted them from the straw bale, they relocated in my wood stacks and I used soapy water te get rid of them.

Just about every other tree we process has ants but they leave after awhile.

Werm said:
oldspark said:
firefighterjake said:

Nobody watches Survivor anymore!

My wife and I do . . . it's our "Date Night."

oldspark said:
firefighterjake said:

You're right . . . I believe I shall now change my ways. I will from here on in check each piece of wood for any possible ant infestation and gingerly move it to the side so as to not disturb the ants since surely the ants have feelings and I don't want to risk the wrath of PETA. ;) :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Very well put Jake! You must have had a good weekend.

Actually it was pretty quiet . . . cold, wet and blustery. Hung some pictures and the cuckoo clock, went grocery shopping and cleaned up some more of the yard . . . not much to write home about.

it's one thing to piss off the ants, but not the uncles.

Status
Not open for further replies.