Ants?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
The wife is reporting the presence of ants in our newly renovated kitchen.........never had issues with ants before; ever.

Our new addition is an above-ground (concrete spires) addition, and there's a couple dozen splits in the wood ring in the living room.......but that's my only thoughts on the matter. We're runnin Central Air 24/7 now.

Ants huh?! Weird.........we're not leaving any food laying around, and we keep the kitchen clean.........I dunno............

-Soupy1957

Since your posting in the wood stove forum, I'm guessing that your guessing they are coming from the wood stove?

We have a constant battle with ants here and have for many, many moons. That is why we use Terro Ant Dust. We spread a line all the way around the house and most of the time they will not cross it.

Terro Ant Dust

The good part of this is that it is waterproof. We had a couple ants come in a few days ago and looking around we saw that one drain off an eave trough was touching the ground so the ants were climbing up that to get in. A quick fix there but I fear that won't be so waterproof as rushing water would tend to wash away the dust so we'll keep our eyes on that one.

May be The Year of the Ant . . . I haven't seen ants in my house for many years and a few weeks back I saw a bunch of the itty bitty ones (how's that for a scientific classification) . . . I squished a bunch and washed a few down the drain . . . haven't seen them since though . . . maybe the survivors passed on word that they should avoid my house or risk a painful death.

General insecticide once a month is part of my routine. (cheap stuff labed for food)

Franks said:
Since your posting in the wood stove forum, I'm guessing that your guessing they are coming from the wood stove?

Yep........I thought that perhaps the wood in the living room wood ring was attracting them (aroma) but that doesn't explain their presence in the kitchen.

Usually, when ants show up in a kitchen, its because of food left out, but I'm wondering about the above ground construction to the addition at the moment.

Wish I COULD have turned this into a wood stove topic, but ah well........

-Soupy1957

P.S.: I recommended Ant Traps to her.

We get carpenter ants on an infrequent basis. The easiest way to deal with them is Caro Syrup and Boric acid. Just mix up a 1 to 1 batch and leave it out for them. They love it, and bring it back to mama... :)

Gotta warn you though if you have ants they are eating something. Do you have cats? Dogs? Ages ago, before being so green I had ants in the house, bombed the house. Killed the ants and less than two weeks later the flea eggs they were eating hatched.... Preferred the ants :)

soupy, what kind of ants are we talking about here? small ones or the big black carpenter ants?

Bears12th: Not sure........I didn't see them personally. I'll ask the wife and get back to you.

Ok, the wife says they are tiny little brown ants........

I guess that means that they are the run of the mill type of ants.

-Soupy1957

I've had the little ants find a few greases splatters on the stove.
Also the same size small ants find sugar or whatever in the sink. I swear they know sugar was there before it was cleaned up and won't give up on the search.
Citrus cleaner killed them on contact, and I poured it down any crevice in the wall they were coming out of.

Citrus cleaner doesn't seem to phase carpenter ants.

I've sprayed the foundation and used bug powder around the house. Trying to avoid where the dog walks.

I've had the tiny ones in a old chimney once. Seemed they were in the brick mortar and ash in the bottom.
Sprayed with something from HD and they were gone.

This year I've got the big brown/red/black ones and they are nasty.
Inside once ( found a rinsed out peach can on the counter). Citrus cleaner killed 'em but took a good sized drowning squirt for each one. Not back but I found where they are outside under the sidewalk.
Damned things build little half tunnels in the lawn.
I've only seen carpenter ants do that.

Borax doesn't work on them like it does the tiny ones.

if you have the time...magnifying glass. its effective, and fun, possibly on the slow side though.

Sprinkle simple, pure Borax in their normal path. It's available in the grocery store with the laundry products.

I have the little brown ants everywhere this year. I have used bait stations:
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/outdoor-ant-control-kit-p-1582.html

and dust:
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/delta-dust-insecticide-p-44.html (have to buy a duster too).

The bait stations are great, very expensive but they really killed a lot of ants outside. I didnt want to use poision as I have a little kid around the house. The bait is great, if its the right bait for the ants you have, ants are usually looking for sweets or greese. This is a sweet bait.

The dust is spectacular! easy to use and kills great! Supposidly safe for mamals too, but I am always concerned about using it inside. I have used it outside with great success by pussing the dust behind the siding and in the walls, i drilled 1/8" holes between the studs for a few feet in a wall where there were bugs (not sure what, but you could hear the crunching of them) and puffed the dust in there. It killed them dead and nothing has returned.

It is a bad year for Ants everywhere. They are in the process of killing off one of my planted White Spruce windbreak trees as I type. I keep killing them and they keep coming back.

BeGreen said:
Sprinkle simple, pure Borax in their normal path. It's available in the grocery store with the laundry products.
I don't want to deal with the full-life review that we all have after we die (also known as "my life flashed before my eyes.") We have to experience all our actions from the other point of view. I don't want to experience being an ant dying from poison. :bug:

That said, these ants are pissing me off. I almost want to wring their tiny little necks. :lol:

I just inadvertently washed a few down the drain while doing the dishes. I hope they made it out alive. :lol:

We've been using Jiffy cornbread mix to take care of the little brown ants. I always thought it was just an old wives tale but it does work, best of all sprinkle some for the ants and make cornbread with the rest.

jeromehdmc said:
We've been using Jiffy cornbread mix to take care of the little brown ants. I always thought it was just an old wives tale but it does work, best of all sprinkle some for the ants and make cornbread with the rest.
What?? How does that work? I do love cornbread... :)

Woody Stover said:
jeromehdmc said:
What?? How does that work? I do love cornbread... :)

I would think that when consumed it would expand in the ants tummy causing it death.

We have little ants in our house also, we also have been getting big black spiders.
Wife sprayed the house before she left yesterday so hopefully they will start to diminish.

Another thing this year is we have allot of deer flies and gnats, so much so that when you walk outside they are all over you like flies on poop.
On Saturday when I left for church about 20 of them kept attcking my car for the 2 mile drive to the main road.

MishMouse said:
Another thing this year is we have allot of deer flies and gnats, so much so that when you walk outside they are all over you like flies on poop.

Sounds like you need to shower more often...

I think MishMouse is right about why the ants meet their demise. Jiffy mix works good because of the sugar in it but any cornmeal will work. My mother also swears by Borax. She says when they walk through it sticks to their legs and when they clean themselves they ingest the Borax and it kills them.

Backpack09 said:
MishMouse said:

Sounds like you need to shower more often...

And get a different car.

Status
Not open for further replies.