any advice for a new chainsaw owner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you start cutting into a tree to drop it, make sure you have enough gas in the tank to finish the job without having to stop and refuel.

Always find a clear escape route.

Misplaced confidence leads to injury.

Have a way to free a stuck saw. Wedges, 2nd saw, falling lever.

Don't walk around with a running chain.

chad3 said:
Non-man advise: Get PPE (personal protection equipment) before you start cutting, chaps, boots, and helmet (eyes and ears safety). From there, make sure the chains stay sharp, don't cut into the dirt, don't push hard on the saw to get it to cut, let the chain do the work.
Have fun cutting, I enjoy thats for sure.
Chad
good advice 16 in. chain saw at the very least CHAPS!

hearing protection

never cut alone

(one you don't always see in the safety part of the owners manual any more): don't let anyone stand in diectly front of you. Should the chain part, they could get a face full of chain.

Most of the owners manuals have a pretty good safety section.
Not every point is perfectly clear. If there's one you don't quite understand. Ask.

Congrats on the saw. I've got a buddy at work that cuts everything with a 2150.

When you get some time on the saw and want to know about better chain, come back and do a search. There are much better options that what came on the saw or is available at you local big box store.

they have 2 handles for a reason... So keep at least 1 hand on each when cutting :)
My brother-in-law found this out the hard way almost lost a finger

Status
Not open for further replies.