Any Advise? New Insert Being Cured Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little D.

Nov 30, 2010
Ma
Englander 50-TNC13I -
EPA Certified
Non-Catalytic
Wood Stove -
1,500 sq. ft

1- I'm doing this outside.

2- New stove pipes will be attached.

3- Three fires are planned from low temp to high temp. but what is considered a low temperature fire and a high temperature fire for this insert?

4- How hot should I get her and how long do I burn for?

Thanks,

Little D.

All this info should be in your manual. The only concern I would have is you may not get the stove hot enough to cure the paint seeing the outside temps are going to keep your stove cooler than it would be in a fireplace. You may have to fire the stove higher and I'm not sure that's wise during first few burns.
My manual states:

FIRST FIRE
When your installation is completed and inspected,
you are ready for your first fire.

1) Open draft control fully.

2) Open firebox door and build a small fire using
paper and dry kindling on the firebrick hearth,
wait a few minutes for a good updraft in the
flue to establish the fi re. Leaving the door
slightly open will help your fire start more
rapidly.

CAUTION: Never leave unit unattended
if door is left open. This
procedure is for fire start-up only,
as unit may over-heat if door is left
open for too long.

3) With the draft still in the fully open position,
add two or three seasoned logs to your fire.
Form a trench in the ash bed to allow air to
reach the rear of the firebox prior to closing
the door.

4) After about 15 to 20 minutes, when your
wood has begun to burn strongly, adjust
your draft control down to keep the fire at a
moderate level.

Thanks stejus,

I have the installation and operations manual and yes they do tell you how to light a fire, but I was hoping there would be a paragraph on the most efficient way to cure the insert. I also had read somewhere that curing it outside would be a good idea, but maybe they were referring to the warm season, not when it was 29 degrees outside.

You will know your curing by the smell of the paint burning. You don't say if you have a thermometer, not saying you need one because you can watch the fire and the smell of the paint curing. Let it burn till the smell subsided for a while say half hour at that temp. Then let it cool and go hotter, again you will know your hotter by the smell and fire.

If you have a thermometer then heat every 100 degrees again you will know by the smell then after that fire let it cool and go hotter around 3 to 4 fires. That's what I did and had no problem since.
Good luck...
md

Status
Not open for further replies.