any body burn pallets and skids

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in the past . . . specifically in Year One when I had some semi-seasoned wood.

Pros: Free, pretty dry. Great kindling.

Cons: Nails. You don't want to pack the firebox full of 'em. Depending on how you process them it can be a pain . . . and a pain to stack.

I have in the past . . . specifically in Year One when I had some semi-seasoned wood.

Pros: Free, pretty dry. Great kindling.

Cons: Nails. You don't want to pack the firebox full of 'em. Depending on how you process them it can be a pain . . . and a pain to stack.
Hay, The nails retain the heat good after the fire goes out :)

Just cut em up, don't try to pull the nails out, real PITA

I do...

Nails just give you more thermal mass...but be careful where you dump your ashes!

Somebody needs to design a stove specifically to burn a complete skid. The big problem I see is breaking them up efficiently.

I have done this in the past, and it worked quite well. Some of the pallets were oak. I never tried to sort out the nails, just put in the ashes in the garbage (after long periods of cooling). I've heard of reports of using magnets to remove the nails.

The tedious part is cutting up the pallets. Sometimes I used a circular saw, sometimes a jig saw. The latter was slower but saner.

I tried out a sawzall with a pruning blade, it worked okay but my little top handle 14 inch chainsaw does it fast

Picture 177.jpg
Picture 176.jpg
Yes, quite a lot!

I get all the old pallets I can get..... Burn hot and quick heat, mostly use for starting the fires. I burn everything in them, forget trying to pull nails, I use a sawzsaw and some old blades on the 021 and go to town.
Most of them are oak, be careful of glued and particle board ones, "they will fire very hot" .....

I use the slats for starters in the house and burn the nails and the rest in the shop. Just got a few the other day.

Attachments

• pallets.JPG
    pallets.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 329
Status
Not open for further replies.