Any body hoarding with the current Spring prices???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
I know its a bit early, BUT! Were's the piggies hidin!

Just wondering who's stocked up already. I just had to with the deals around me. I really just couldn't take it and was driving the wife nuts. We have OVER stuffed the basement and still may get some more! Pig statues is again achieved! Call me a hoarder But I WILL be warm next winter!

Remember some of the threads from a few years back?(I was a mear lurker back then!)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26619/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26525/

And

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25259/

Here piggy piggy, hehe! :lol:

Quick someone send me about 20 tons of AC so I can burn what I already have in order to make room for more.

Is that the kind of piggishness you are looking for Jay?

I can't do anything until later on.

festerw said:
I've got 4 tons of Hamer's ordered that have to be picked up by the end of May, not too bad at $205/ton

Sweet deal there! You would be "piggy" material with that purchase!

C'mon Jay! No such thing as hoarding ;-)

Including the leftovers from this season, I have about 5.3 ton in stock right now.
Started restocking in March and if I can find a way to squeeze em in, may get 1 more
ton through a barter deal.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Quick someone send me about 20 tons of AC so I can burn what I already have in order to make room for more.

A bit over the top there Smokey! I know you will tank up just before the hibernation season hits or once the new flock is in the coop(garage make a nice chick den). Not all area's are as low as we are right now so I am just testing the waters for the spring deals. I might be teasing too! Low flying pigs are out in full force in CT! No shortage of pellets either!

What brand are you steering to this year???

tinkabranc said:
C'mon Jay! No such thing as hoarding ;-)

No different than getting a tank of gas, just before the prices are going up! :cheese: I always feel better with a pile of pellets in the stash. Kinda like a nice warm security blanket!

jtakeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

A bit over the top there Smokey! I know you will tank up just before the hibernation season hits or once the new flock is in the coop(garage make a nice chick den). Not all area's are as low as we are right now so I am just testing the waters for the spring deals. I might be teasing too! Low flying pigs are out in full force in CT! No shortage of pellets either!

What brand are you steering to this year???

I still need to test a couple of different kinds, but am leaning towards some Oakies and Barefoot but I don't want to get BTU all puffed up with pride since he won't allow the guys to loose a couple bags when they go by the end of the road here.

I got a much better deal waiting last year and I don't really need them until after the beginning of 2011. My only stocking up concern after May is over is to get them in before the driveway becomes an issue.

At least the old granite box culvert has new slabs. Last fall the center slab fell in, after the fork lift got over it.

Between December 1 and March 31 I don't want to try getting any heavy loads over it.

Yeah the garage makes a really nice brooding area for the fluffy butts.

A tarp with a brooder guard ring and pine shavings and one red heat lamp, plenty warm, draft free, and secure.

Damn, no deals at all around here. At least nothing worth stocking up on just yet. best I have found has been

250 on Okies (clear bags tho, so they may be old stock)
265 on Spruce Point

Nothing else worth mentioning.

Hey Smokey, what are you finding in your neck? It's not that far from me in New Durham, NH.
Anyone got a lead on Barefoot in the area?

HELP !!!!!! :wow:

gbreda said:
Damn, no deals at all around here. At least nothing worth stocking up on just yet. best I have found has been

250 on Okies (clear bags tho, so they may be old stock)
265 on Spruce Point

Nothing else worth mentioning.

Hey Smokey, what are you finding in your neck? It's not that far from me in New Durham, NH.
Anyone got a lead on Barefoot in the area?

HELP !!!!!! :wow:

$250 is a good price on the Okies......

gbreda,

Currently there are no "good" deals in this area, there are however some good pellets.

Southern Maine Renewables has both Oakies and Barefoot, they have two places they store and sell from. Here is a link to their operation http://www.woodpellets4me.com/

I got my LGs from http://www.woodpellets.com currently they haven't got any of them for delivery in this area.

I want to put a couple of bags of current MWP and the stuff from Strong when they get back up and running through the stove. Would like to keep the money in this state if possible. But they have to earn it. It is pretty bad when I can get a lot better from a lot further away cheaper or at the same price. So much for transportation costs being the culprit in the retail price.

You might want to look into the pellets now being made in Vermont.

SmokeyTheBear said:
gbreda,

Geno, Smokey has some good advice here!

Darn good pellet there making! I tested them for BT Enterprizes in bristol. Really good heat and very low ash. If you get a chance? Try some. I can post a link for my results if you need them.

BLIMP said:
I was just wondering about possible degradation of wood via woodpunk,sawdust decay,or pellet bacterial degradation?

You forgot humidity! Moisture is a killer of pellets!

jtakeman said:
BLIMP said:
I was just wondering about possible degradation of wood via woodpunk,sawdust decay,or pellet bacterial degradation?

You forgot humidity! Moisture is a killer of pellets!
Bacterium love/need moisture & time to grow & digest the cellulose?

4 tons in garage waiting to be hauled into basement..

jtakeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
gbreda,

Darn good pellet there making! I tested them for BT Enterprizes in bristol. Really good heat and very low ash. If you get a chance? Try some. I can post a link for my results if you need them.

What are the Vermont pellets?

LW, 250 is pretty good on Okies, but how old are they if they are clear bags?

yeah no deals around here either I went and got 8 bags of Lgs this morning and they said 255.00 a ton right now

I just got a great deal today. I live down the road from a new england pellet plant and they where giving them away for free. Just drive up and they loaded 2 free bags for you. I had to wait in line for 15 minutes but it was worth the wait. plus they put you in a drawing to win more free pellets for the first 200 cars.

gbreda said:
jtakeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
gbreda,

What are the Vermont pellets?

Check links

http://www.vermontwoodpellet.com/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51871/P22/#602652

I'm in the market for 4 tons of decent pellets at around $220/ton but I can't find a decent deal around here. Drove by Tractor Supply in Putnam, CT today and they have a huge sign advertising pellets for $289.50/ton. I can have woodpellets.com deliver them inside my garage for less than that...

Hey TSC ! It's April. Step away from the crack pipe and go fix your sign. Surely you can do better than that in springtime...

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find that price in eastern CT. There are decent pellets for $250, but that's about it. If you find some, don't post it. I already bought mine for $250 and I don't want to feel any "buyer's remorse"!

Status
Not open for further replies.