Any bright ideas on moving my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SonOfEru

Jan 11, 2018
Sanbornton NH
I have a VC Defiant Encore. There is a problem with the linkage to the damper plate at the back, for running the gases into the catalytic. A couple months ago, it was getting so that something in there was not sliding smoothly, so I had to work at getting it to go all the way back, like it was stuck somewhere. I posted here about it, and was advised to get some anti-seize lubricant that stands up to high temps. I did, and smeared it on the back of the damper plate where the rod runs through a slot with a clip, and presto! it was smooth as you-know-what. But after several weeks it is slowly getting back to the old problem. So I need to open it up again and grease it again. Maybe that wasnt where the grease was needed, but after greasing it, there seemed to be no resistance left. A puzzler!

My question is about moving the store around, not about the greasing [though I would be happy to have any further suggestions about freeing it up].

Mine is installed right close to the chimney, so I only have a one-foot pipe, an oval-to-round 8" straight into the thimble. So I cant just take the pipe apart to get access to the damper from the flue collar at the back. I have to move the sucker out from the chimney. It weighs something like 350#, and I am older than I used to be. Last time I was able to lift one side just a tad and slipped a sheet of roof flashing under the legs, then the other side, and then inched it out a bit at a time on each side. It was not easy.

I have wondered about a stove pipe connector we had once, that wrapped around where two sections of pipe met and had a flange running down the edge on either side, so you could bolt the meeting flanges together and make a reasonably tight joint. But with just a one-foot run, and going from oval to round, I dont see how that would work.

Maybe I could somehow jack it up with my automotive floor jack and roll it out, but I wonder about the bottom of the stove bearing the weight. If I take off the heat shield there is a casting that forms the pocket for the ash pan. It has 4 short round "feet" at its corners, each about 1" in diameter, sticking down from the casting just a bit. That makes me think they are meant to be able to rest the stove on if I jacked up either side and slid blocking under them. But I dont want to make that guess myself.

Would that be safe?

Or does anyone have another slick idea?

I have a VC Defiant Encore. There is a problem with the linkage to the damper plate at the back, for running the gases into the catalytic. A couple months ago, it was getting so that something in there was not sliding smoothly, so I had to work at getting it to go all the way back, like it was stuck somewhere. I posted here about it, and was advised to get some anti-seize lubricant that stands up to high temps. I did, and smeared it on the back of the damper plate where the rod runs through a slot with a clip, and presto! it was smooth as you-know-what. But after several weeks it is slowly getting back to the old problem. So I need to open it up again and grease it again. Maybe that wasnt where the grease was needed, but after greasing it, there seemed to be no resistance left. A puzzler!

My question is about moving the store around, not about the greasing [though I would be happy to have any further suggestions about freeing it up].

Mine is installed right close to the chimney, so I only have a one-foot pipe, an oval-to-round 8" straight into the thimble. So I cant just take the pipe apart to get access to the damper from the flue collar at the back. I have to move the sucker out from the chimney. It weighs something like 350#, and I am older than I used to be. Last time I was able to lift one side just a tad and slipped a sheet of roof flashing under the legs, then the other side, and then inched it out a bit at a time on each side. It was not easy.

I have wondered about a stove pipe connector we had once, that wrapped around where two sections of pipe met and had a flange running down the edge on either side, so you could bolt the meeting flanges together and make a reasonably tight joint. But with just a one-foot run, and going from oval to round, I dont see how that would work.

Maybe I could somehow jack it up with my automotive floor jack and roll it out, but I wonder about the bottom of the stove bearing the weight. If I take off the heat shield there is a casting that forms the pocket for the ash pan. It has 4 short round "feet" at its corners, each about 1" in diameter, sticking down from the casting just a bit. That makes me think they are meant to be able to rest the stove on if I jacked up either side and slid blocking under them. But I dont want to make that guess myself.

Would that be safe?

Or does anyone have another slick idea?

Build a simple platform to sit on your floor jack, a 24" x 24" 2x6's screwed together. Have more than a few helpers to help balance it. I've found beer to be a good motivator, and pizza too.

Reactions: georgepds