Any changes made to Resolute Acclaims over the years?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDfromRI

Nov 16, 2007
Northern Rhode Island
Hey Folks,

With the help of many of you, I was able to get my stove installed year and enjoyed a winter of burning wood. This year, I've got a lot more wood and am absolutely itching to fire up my little Century stove!

There was a downside, though - I found on those 20degree days that the stove could not keep up. I've been thinking about increasing hte stove size to something more like 40-50k btu. I think that'd do the trick. I have fallen in love with the lines of the VC Resolute Acclaim but definitely don't want to spend a couple grand on a new one unless I have to. I have found several around used and I enjoy reconditioning so I may consider that route. Question for hte stove experts - has there been any changes made to the design of the Acclaim over the years? Or, is one from the 80's going to be the same as 2008 model?

Thanks All!
-JD

The first Resolute Acclaim was a low period for VC. Parts would warp in a few years of burning. They have fixed the worst issues, but the refractory is still fragile. The stove is ok, but I'd sooner go for the original Resolute.

There are lots of nice stoves that can accomplish your goal. I'd also look at the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, Hearthstone Shelburne, Pacific Energy T5, Morso 2110, and the Jotul F400 or F500.

Older units might not satisfy you because they have dirtier combustion and the glass gets dirty also.
http://www.discountstove.com/partsvcwbfreestanding.htm#Resolute
will give you some idea of the differences.

First resi had one door which dropped down
2nd was the same but two doors opened side to side
Acclaim has one big door- totally new clean burn design.

Status
Not open for further replies.