1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any Cumberland Stove Works owners on here?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Chain, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lewis County, New York (upstate)
    I'm curious about this brand. Any info. you can provide regarding reliability, customer service, ease of cleaning, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks. I'm considering buying the MF3800 as seen below.

http://www.cumberlandstoveworks.com/

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

3. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    Don't know if they are good or bad. I don't get a real good feeling about them, when I see them for sale at Ocean State Job Lot.

Tom
    chriscarl likes this.
  4. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Thanks for the links......Sounds like the 3800 is a good stove and may even be better now that they've worked some kinks out. Keep the info. coming, folks.
  5. 3650

3650 Member

Loc:
    midwest
    great stoves. i prefer it to my harman. well made, trouble free, versatile pellet mizer. multifuel to boot. easy to clean and ignites in two minutes.
  6. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Never heard of it. Stick with the main brands and you will be better off on parts and service.

Eric
  7. Turbo-Quad

Turbo-Quad New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    Buddy of mine has one and it hold up next to my Quad 24-7. He had a blower go bad (proly because he was using one of those Junk APC back ups), called them and they sent a new one straight away.....he got it hte next day. His stove hardly cooled off. Thats what I call service. Too bad Quad and Harman service isnt that good. I was checking out their website and they have a cool attatchment you can buy pipe this into your duct work. Looks like a pretty flexible stove to me.
  8. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    It's made by Hearthstone, which is a pretty well known maker of wood and gas stoves. I believe the Cumberland line of pellet stoves are their first foray into the world of pellet stoves. Again, thanks to everyone for providing information on this brand.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Cumberland is actually a division of Ardisam Inc. They also market the Castle stove line.

http://www.castlestoves.com/
  10. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Yep, as mentioned on the Hearthstone site. I also believe that much o the technology of the Cumberland series is "borrowed" from a European pellet stove manufacturer that they've worked with previously on other stoves. This was also mentioned on the Hearthstone site.
  11. Turbo-Quad

Turbo-Quad New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    That thing has a pretty nifty controller. His stove is able to sustain an extremely low burn if asked. It also has a pretty nifty burn pot. He says the holes never plug up. He just dumps the pot once a day by pulling the lever and restarts it. I wish my Quad were that simple. I have to clean the holes out daily, and if im burning alot like 3 bags a day I have to do it twice.
  12. Krik

Krik Member

Loc:
    Windham ME
    Yeah sweet controllers on both those brands. Nice modern look on the Castle too. If they had something like that in the 45-55KBTUh range I'd be all over it.
  13. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    I have three dealers fairly close to me (at least that's what the Cumberland site says) and so I'm going to make a point of checking them out further. As I said earlier, my local Harman dealer also sells Hearthstone wood stoves but not the Cumberland pellet stoves and so I want to find out why. I must admit, the ease of cleaning is a deciding factor in my decision. But I really would like to know the durability/dependability more than anything. In terms of price, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 3800 and a P61 or 68 Harman..
  14. Turbo-Quad

Turbo-Quad New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    I think my buddy got his on Ebay refurbished from manufacture with warranty. Cant remember what it cost him. I remember it was a fraction of what I paid for my used Quad. It was less then a grand. I know he look at a dealer one and laughed himself out of there. I think they wanted over two grand. Dealers are gona **** you.
  15. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    I don't mind paying money for a brand new stove, even knowing the dealer is making a very high profit margin. Especially if it's a good brand supported with a decent warranty and good customer service. The HVAC equipment in my house is one area where I don't cut corners for the sake of saving money.

Truth is, when it comes to such equipment, I'm not that handy and so would rather not risk my peace of mind by buying used equipment. If this stove was going in a camp, cottage, whatever, I might have a different attitude, but this is my primary residence and my hope is to now make the new pellet stove (whichever brand I ultimately purchase) the primary heat source and designate my boiler to back up and domestic hot water use only. And since I live in upstate, NY with very cold temps. (in a typical winter anyway) for several months of the year, dependable heat is perhaps more of a concern than in other areas of the country.
  16. Turbo-Quad

Turbo-Quad New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    Yep good point....if your not handy you might as be handsome. Its probably a pretty good rule that people who arent handy shouldnt buy used stuff unless they are eager to become handy or pay the handyman...lol.
  17. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    I'm pretty handy with basic carpentry things and what not, but HVAC is where I draw the line. And given you can die up here in Northern, NY if your heat source dies on you (again, in a typical winter), it's not something you take lightly.
  18. Turbo-Quad

Turbo-Quad New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    Id get two in that case. Always good to have a back up.
  19. Bear

Bear New Member

Loc:
    Nevada
    Everyone needs to shy away from this stove. This thing is a piece of junk. I've had nothing but problems from the first day it was installed. Within 2 months of install the auger motor went out, then the breaker switches, then the blower motor and now the controller keeps saying the seals are bad. The stove has been completely cleaned, new gaskets installed and still won't work properly. This stove probably only has half a season of actual use. It's been broke down more time than it has truly been used. Yesterday the stove blew hot ashes out the back of the stove almost causing a fire. The stove blows smoke out of several areas. For now we have obviously shut it down for safety reasons. We called Cumberland and basically they say it is out of warranty (3 years old) and we will have to pay to fix it. It's not worth what it would cost to fix it! All these people that are posting resounding reviews must be getting paid under the table by Cumberland cause their stove sucks and is a piece of crap. Save your money and buy a name brand stove the really works. May be my piece of junk will make a good boat anchor to dock my boat!
  20. chriscarl

chriscarl New Member

Loc:
    Poughquag,NY
    Well I am pretty happy with mine. Sorry for your bad experience.
  21. chriscarl

chriscarl New Member

Loc:
    Poughquag,NY
    Did you end up buying one?
  22. jslinger

jslinger Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    Do you plan on using along with your P61A? Or are you looking to replace the Harman?
  23. Bowhunter1

Bowhunter1 Member

Loc:
    really close to Western Mass but in NY
    you must of got a lemon, mine runs like a champ, burns feces if that is all i had, and heats 1700 sq ft with ease...
    newbieinCT likes this.